planned lean-to and gas boiler flue outlet?

Hi, I'm planning to build an open fronted lean-to against the wall of my house. On this wall, about 5' from the ground is a gas boiler flue outlet ( a square steel plate with caged sides). Is it considered acceptable to roof over the part of the wall with this outlet in it? Regards, Dick Treen

Reply to
treenoakio

Dunno, but we've done something similar here. Our porch is 150cm deep,

280cm wide, 220-200cm high, closed at both sides, and contains a balanced flue centred 70cm from the floor. There have been no problems other than condensation under the roof, making the steel supporting beam prone to rust. The porch is also nice and warm. ;-)
Reply to
Mike Barnes

A good proportion of the gas fitting horror pictures published in "The Gas Installer" (CORGI comic) are based on various creative ways people have devised to build extensions without refitting the boiler.

What you may or may not do may or may not be listed out in the manual. If there's no help in the manual then BS 5440 part 1 should help. These standards might be available to download using the magic words "british standard torrent".

If you find that the boiler can't be used with your new lean to then maybe it's time to bring forward the boiler's replacement as the boiler is at least half way through it's life.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Sirett for making me realise exactly what I was trying to avoid by asking this on the newsgroup. :-)

Reply to
treenoakio