Putting Flue throught lean to Conservatory roof.

Hi All,

We plan to replace the boiler in a property we just bought. The old boiler is currently in the small kitchen. Attached to the kitchen is a small lean too used mainly as a utility room. To free up space in the kitchen we plan to move the boiler to an external wall but within this lean too and have the flue coming vertically out the roof of the lean too. The roof of the lean too is comprised of plastic sheets (I think they are polycarbonate sheets, it looks like them).

We have got quotes from two plumbers, one saying we can go vertically out the roof and another saying we can't because it's plastic, it would melt so we must put the flue horizontal to the boiler out the adjacent window. Also the adjacent single glass window needs to be changed to dbl glazing.

Any advice on who is right? If we can go vertically what do we need to buy for the roof to keep a waterproof seal.

Cheers Ado

Reply to
ado

The flue won't get hot since even the inside compartment is only designed to take warm and wet gas and is itself made of plastic so there should be no problem with going through the polycarb roof. However the boiler & flue manufacturer's instructions are final so if there's nothing specific in the vertical flue kit installation manual then call the manufacturer for advice.

As for changing a sg window to dg that installer is clearly talking out of his botty.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Especially since you would be reducing the ventilation if you did so. He might have been thinking about condensation I suppose.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

How would changing single to double glazing affect ventilation?

Reply to
John Stumbles

A single glazing sash is thinner than that required for double as a general rule so easy ingress of cold air.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby