Plain Tile - felt support @ eaves.

Need to do some plain tiling on a 35 degree pitch roof ... It is 4.3 x 4.3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips.

The Q relates to eaves .. on previous job I used these Felt support trays -

These are great for large format tiles or slates However as plain tiles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means first batten is pretty close to fascia ... only ~150mm between back of fascia and bottom edge of batten.

So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste)

What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves ... even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter, can still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I suspect if fitted during a re-roof, the bottom batten would be nailed through the eaves tray into the rafters, since the tray goes under the felt which is under the battens anyway.

I've only retrofitted it, and the interlocking concrete tiles were longer than the width of the felt tray, so it didn't reach the bottom batten.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

3 m square with all 4 corners fitted with bonnet hips. The Q relates to eav es .. on previous job I used these Felt support trays -
kqw6suz These are great for large format tiles or slates However as plain t iles have a course of eaves tiles first .. means first batten is pretty clo se to fascia ... only ~150mm between back of fascia and bottom edge of batt en. So I had to cut quite a lot off the depth of each one (about 75mm if I remember)so it could fit in front of batten (so a lost of waste) What else is typically used to prevent felt sag & puddling at eaves ... even the old method of cutting a tilting fillet for each rafter, can still allow felt to sag and then puddling of rain water.

The over fascia support trays are not designed for plain tiles. There purpo se is to support the newer type of breather underlay, as this type of mater ial is thinner and if left to over hang the fascia does two things. #1 it s ags at the back of the fascia, called toughing, #2 when the wind blows unde r the gutter it makes the over hanging material vibrates. To over come the problem of using trays, lay a length of thin ply on top of the fascia back to the bottom edge of the first tile batten nailing to the rafter, cut the tray down to fit on top of the ply, then lay underlay on top in the normal way. The only down fall in this method is that the thin ply does course a r im at the top. Ideally the ply can be fixed in between the rafter supported on short lengths of batten fixed to the inner side of the rafter.

Reply to
Kipper at sea