Pipe under joists

reasonable substitute, but I was referring to a drill which had its gearbox arranged in the appropriate fashion (bolt-on accessories for electric drills sort-of died a death about 30 years ago as I recall ;)).

I recently bought a Screwfix biscuit jointer for 35 quid. Does a great job for the sorts of things I need a biscuit jointer for and I really don't need to spend several hundred quid for a badged version which could produce broadly similar results (can't see the justification myself, but perhaps others with more knowledge of this might be able to?).

I'm surprised that Ferm/Nutool haven't yet spotted an opportunity in the bargain-basement tool line for a drill with a right-angle drive.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I haven't read any of the replies as there are to date 38 of them but I am curiouus to know what the waste is running along and running to.

If you are upstairs and the pipe is run level with the floor or ceiling then drops away at the wall to the drains below, how much fluid do you suppose will remain in the level part of the pipe? And what danger or threat will it pose?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Agreed; the bolt-on drill attachments used to be 'orrible things, doing nothing particularly well, but the AEG right angle drive unit, permanently coupled to an old Blue Bosch is quite a tough piece of kit. Solid cast body with proper gears, it's got. No cheapo nylon crap inside. Stick on a decently sharp stubby auger and you're through a joist in seconds.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Christ! Are his turds THAT big?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess so. Though I have to admit that I can't remember the last time I had to cut a hole in a joist like this.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

If he's been drinking Guinness the night before.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I fixed a problem in our loft two days ago which has been there since the house was built. The bathroom ceiling developed a damp patch.

Problem turned out to be that the joint in the plastic pipe immediately above the damp patch had never been sealed - the joint was just pushed together. The pipe ran horizontally across the rafters and carries no fluid directly - it is the breather pipe that vents to the roof from the toilet soil stack. The fluid was condensation from the stack.

I solvent welded the joint and the ceiling has dried up.

The moral of the story here is that for the pipe running horizontally to work then there would be a joint (probably right-angled) at either end. It may be that one of those joints might not be securely made, or perhaps fail some time in the future. If that did happen you might have fluid which seeps out and ruins the ceiling below (or perhaps causes rot in the joists). And as noted for my problem above, any moisture within the pipe might not be a direct corelation with what is being carried - it might just be condensation.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

This precisley what happened in my case.

Except instead of a poor joint, the pipe didn't quite make it through the gable wall, and dripped down INSIDE the wall. The problem didn't show up till a combination of lots of hot water at Christmas, and some bloody cold weather, caused the condensation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Michael,

If you install a run of waste pipe dead horizontal, it will of course still drain, and you may not notice any problems for some time, however this is not a self cleaning gradient and eventually sediments build up on the bottom of the pipe.

Reply to
BillP

This is what happened to us. The latest incarnation of the bathroom involved moving the sink from very close to the wall to very far away, ie the other side of the room! I cut exact sized holes in the middle (top to bottom) of 4 joists to get the waste out.

Initially I had the waste *pretty much* dead level, but obviously water collected and stagnated if left for a few days.

The other week I replaced the bath waste with a smart chrome job which involved re-visiting the sink waste too since they ended up next to each other, and I noticed I'd put both wastes one brick too high so water DEFINITELY collected. I took the brick out below the pipe and got a pretty good drainage slope out of it - boy did a lot of stinkin' water come out of it :)

Everything's fine now - no more bad water smells in the bathroom.....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Bad smells arising from laying a waste pipe without a fall may not be due to stagnated water collecting in the pipe. Even if the pipe if full of foul smelling water, the smell shouldn't enter the room if the trap on the appliance is intact.

The smell probably arises from the fact that the integrity of the trap is being compromised by self siphonage due to the waste not being laid with adequate fall.

Reply to
BillP

I should've added that I still haven't reinstalled the toilet after much umming and ahhing about whether to laminate the floor or not, so the soil pipe only has a safeway bag gaffa taped over it :) Now that we've decided to get the floor sanded I need to think of a way of levelling the bog since the floor slopes enough for the experience to be rather strange!

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy