Pipe flarer

I would not worry about the difference between 15mm (OD) and 1/2" (ID) they are very nearly identical.

For 3/4" (ID) the OD is 21.5 or thereabouts. The socketing tool will obviously work on 3/4" pipe. However the 3/4" pipe will be a very loose fit in a formed socket, this will probably work OK sine the pipe end will abut the socket deep inside but there will stikll be issues with the solder wanting to drop out of the fitting.

I've not tried one of these adgets as yet - I'm put off by the need to have to clean the formed socket where as (fresh) fittings come delivered spotless.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"all" fittings should be cleaned before applying flux.

Reply to
IMM

Interesting - in the aircon industry where they are used a lot, pipework comes sealed in oxygen-free bags, and should not be opened until the moment the pipework is used. I don't think you are allowed to clean the pipework, as you get no chance to flush out any bits of wire wool and copper [oxide] powder prior to use.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Although I find I don't need to clean new pipe. If it looks clean and bright then the amount of flux I use is evidently capable of removing any oxide, since I've had no leaks as yet. It's only when I'm connecting to old pipe which is visibly dull and cacked up that I have to have a go with wire brush or sandpaper.

Reply to
Craig Graham

In any practical exam, if you do not clean the fittings you are deducted points. Every pro I know, that is properly qualified and educated, cleans "all" fittings.

Reply to
IMM

It is still not a good idea. You should scrub every pipe and fitting you use. For fittings, get a set of fitting wire brushes. Two twists and you're done. It only takes 5 seconds. Better than tearing your finger apart with wire wool inside a 15mm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And prevents wires wool circulating in a system.

Reply to
IMM