Ping Dave Plowman (recording media)

But getting back on topic, not for archiving. What do you think are the chances of your private family snaps still being available in 100 years time - like the photos found at the bottom of a trunk? You may be happy backing up *everything* regularly, but will your children and their children's children?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To snip a long thread short, that is what I am going to do.

Thanks.

That reminds me to dig out our old colour slides and see what they look like. I already know that some of them have colour casts on them.

Thanks again.

Dave

Reply to
dave

I think it would be good for them to see where they came from. It is only in the last 80-90 years that we can see what our ancestors looked like. The oldest photo I have, thanks to my father throwing out all my childhood ones, is one when we got married in 1970, of my grand father.

I have done some family history checks and got back to 1794 on my father's side. Obviously, there wouldn't be photos that old. But I would assume that future generations would be keen to see where they came from.

Dave

Reply to
dave

But I would have thought that it was opinion formed by being in your line of work.

Still. Many thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave

I'm a sound engineer - and audio tapes usually survive rather better than video ones. I've transferred some recently made in the '50s. But some also self destruct.

But I do like to keep in touch - as much as I can - with other sides of my industry. The big problem these days is keeping up to date.

But I can give you some insight. The earliest pro video tape was 2" wide, and the machines it played on the size of an AGA. Any spares needed for that machine would have to be hand made - and they do wear out. They were skipped by the dozen when superseded. Anyone with a working one might only get a call to use it once a month or whatever. So is likely to charge pro-rata.

And it could be just the same in 50 years time - HDs etc as we know them could be just a memory. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snip again

It was suggested in the conversation i had, that solid state memory could be the way forward, but that might end up as a distant memory (no pun intended) in the future of data storage.

Dave

Reply to
dave

as many as are left of old photos, yes.

after all a partially damaged DVD is in essence similar to a mouldy old print in an album..

Both are unexpected finds, both are less than perfect.

It's more likely that everyone will strill be on Facile Bork, and that will be backed up forever, anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Printed and noted.

Dave

Reply to
dave

That's what they are designed to be, Dave. Just a memory :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not: and sadly, the pictures *I've* taken - the colour ones at least - certainly don't look like they are likely to be much use at the end of the century. On the other hand, a century ago, having a picture taken was a special event you got dressed up for (in fact some people were so unused to seeing what they looked like that unscrupulous photo shops could sell the same portrait to a number of different people), so for most families, until relatively recently there were not many pictures to store. Even so, during a sort out last year, I filled a sizeable trunk with 'shoeboxes' full of neatly sorted and sized prints. Scary thing now, is that I could probably fill up a similar trunk from one SD card nowadays! Fraid, the modern picture is a throwaway item for most people.

spamlet

I don't think many ordinary people would be able to recover a 'partly' damaged DVD. If the player rejects it: it's an instant beer mat.

spamlet

You actually think there will be players around for today's DVDs in 100 years? But a DVD won't survive that long anyway.

That's maybe more likely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ordinary people 30 years from now probably will.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can still play 100 year old shellac gramophone disks..read wire recordings..if I want to enough.

There will be someone somewhere who can take grandads old DVD, and turn it into a few terabytes of data to embed in your subcutaneous grain storage unit, ready to view at leisure via your bionic implants....

Well archaeology is of course the study if the things that DO outlast their creators..

To talk to an archaeologist, it sounds like all people did was run around naked, apart from jewellery and weapons, and make pots..

The organics, you see, don't survive much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could knock up something that would play 'gramophone discs' in the average home workshop. But a DVD player?

Could be. But home recorded DVDs won't last that long anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a moot point anyway: it would be illegal to break the encryption without a licensed player.

Reply to
Jim

Just use your 6 terrapixel camera to take a snap, use the gimp dvd straigtener on it to produce a linear picture and play it with the latest OSS hack.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "spamlet" saying something like:

Which is why it makes sense to select several representative ones and archive them on the longest-lasting material available at a sensible price. In a century or two, your descendants won't be all that interested in fishing through thousands of images to see what you looked like, but they'd be interested in just a few. I wonder what the claimed archival life of the best colour prints is - seems it might a plan to get some done and stored in an album at the bottom of a trunk or wardrobe, adding to it every so often. See, the Victorians had it sussed years ago :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Movie frame, yes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The inks as used on the average inkjet printer don't seem to survive long in ordinary light. Perhaps we need to archive to the original sepia photographic paper?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)