OT! DIY fix? VCR not (re)-recording sound

Got an annoying problem with a JVC HR-J270EK VHS VCR. It will record over the video track on a tape (in SP or LP) and play that back correctly. It won't record over the audio track (so the previous audio remains (played at the speed the video is recorded). If it recorded silence I would possibly be less surprised.

Any ideas? I know it's old (was an an insurance replacement in early

2000) but it worked up until recently for recording the odd program either from a dedicated Nokia 9850T or the internal analogue tuner. Just bought a 32" Bravia and this VCR I intended to keep on another TV for occasional use.

Tools available: 4.5" angle grinder, axe, 2lb hammer ;-) Seriously though, I'd be OK with popping the lid to attempt an easy fix if anyone knows what might be up.

Cheers

J.

Reply to
Part timer

Audio recording head needs cleaning possibly?

Look at the head and see if its pitted with tape dropout? preferably with a magnifier. Or just clean it with meths and see if that restores the recording audio? if it doesn't make no diff then its possibly an electronic component fault?

Reply to
George

I wouldn't have thought so as the previous audio is still there but cheap VHS machines have a full tape width erase head seperate and before the rec/pb heads. This should wipe the previous audio...

Has this machine any dubbing features? Maybe audio record has accidentally been switched off in a menu or hardware switch somewhere under a panel. Similary check settings for Hi-Fi/linear audio mode(s).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agree with Dave on this one. IIR the early JVC were the rolls royce of vid's and had an audio dub facility with a small slide switch at the side of the front input sockets, Failing this it sounds like the audio switching amp has gone faulty as you are not recording new audio (if i read your post correctly)

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Rolls Royce of VCRs? Mine can't be an early model then ;-) No sockets/ switches apart from 2 scarts (only one is in & out, other just input), the RF loop and a 3.5mm jack output for some optional IR satellite box controller (channel change).

Problem now fixed - acetone on a cotton bud did the trick on the erase and audio/control heads (left and right of the main drum and the delicate video heads). Kept well away from the plastic and rubber parts. Allowed some evaporation time then gave it a whirl. Audio now records :-) Thanks for everyone's input.

J.

Reply to
Part timer

Ahem! :-)

Reply to
George

In message , Part timer writes

Dead bias oscillator or possibly open circuit erase head. I assume it's not HiFi?

Can you see faint ghosting in dark areas of the picture on a newly recorded over tape?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Have you read his latest reply Clint?

Reply to
George

In message , George writes

My post was written but not sent immediately. I downloaded his fix post whilst mine was being uploaded. Better timing next time maybe.

Reply to
Clint Sharp