Pinewood on outdoor table

Replacing some rotten wooden slats with pinewood slats on a very small outdoor table. Yes I'm a cheapskate. Don't wish to buy a whole tin of wood preservative of which only a tiny bit would get used. What readily handy items might do the job as a preservative even for just a while? Bleach, Strong cleaning soda solution, cooking oil preferably walnut oil or anything else? Grateful for a suggestion.

Reply to
john west

Boot polish?

Reply to
alan_m

Boiled linseed oil comes in reasonably small bottles.

Reply to
newshound

... and I'd try a bit of walnut oil and see if it stopped being oily and sticky after a few whatevers...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer