Power supply for lock-up garage

I have a lock-up garage that uses a minimal amount of electricity - electric door, light and trace heating for the water pipe (winter only). Up to now I have been paying about £4 per quarter on a zero standing charge tariff. My supplier has now withdrawn the tariff and moved me to standard variable tariff. This means a standing charge applies. They have then applied the Ofgem price cap and propose to charge me £250 per year.

I understand there are no zero standing charge tariffs available any longer. I am concerned if I put up an argument that the property is not domestic, they could say the price cap does not apply, and increase the charge!

I wondered about terminating the supply and installing either a UPS or an inverter with a battery. I could then have two batteries and charge them in my flat. I wonder if this would be feasible.

My other - and better - idea would be a solar panel but given the construction and location this would be very difficult.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

Are there any other adjacent garages with power? Perhaps an agreement with other people in the same boat, to "share" one supply between the lot and share the bill.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm was thinking very hard :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Recharging batteries is ?high risk? in terms of forgetting and leaving you outside a garage with electric doors.

Solar: I recall claim that a 1kW array of solar panels ( eg an array of 5 x

200 W panels ) will yield between 700 and 900 kWhr per year in Yorkshire.

Googling, the average power required for a garage door opener is 500W. Say

1 min to open or close. 30 cycles / kWh. ( I suspect these times are generous.)

You need to decide how you want to trade cost of solar panels vs energy available but, assuming the claim I recall is valid, a 200W panel would yield 140kWh / year. At 30 cycles / kWh, 30x 140 = 4200 cycles.

I?ve not allowed for light but, I assume this will be LED and short term so minimal.

Heating is more of a problem. Using your hard gained electricity to heat probably isn?t the best idea. Can you turn off the water in the winter and only turn it on when needed?

Reply to
Brian

Although it usually wins hands down over solar power (especially in winter) unless you have a very large (expensive) solar PV panel. It was the solution I adopted for remote power in my off grid greenhouse.

On paper it should have been ideal for solar power since the plants only need a lot of watering when the sun is shining. In practice the thing didn't stack up and two SLA's used in rotation were a perfect solution.

Heating in winter will be a killer. Active signage around here dies every winter without fail and destroys a set of batteries too. They work perfectly in mid summer but in winter when they might do some good are dead in the water a couple of hours after sunset.

They are radar activated "Pleas go round the dangerous bend" signs. I have *never* seen one working on a frosty winters morning.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Excellent idea, you could even offer to install a private meter to record how much you use. They can cost as little as £13.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

Why not convert the electric door to manual, and lag the water pipe instead of heating it?

Reply to
Dave W

That doesnt work if its cold enough with infrequently used water pipes. The heat bleeds out over time until it freezes.

Reply to
Jock

Need a mechanical override for opening the garage door if power fails, or have a separate battery for it.

When they are in the garage, have something monitoring the charge state, and alerting when they need changing / charging.

A three way valve/pump that drains water from exposed pipework when the temperature falls below 4degC.

Ideal application for some IoT things.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

There's an antifreeze valve for that, it doesn't need power:

However it does need to be at the lowest point of the circuit, which might be awkward if it's an underground pipe.

(and you get a puddle of the drained water, so they're intended to be used outside. Although I suppose you could put a bucket underneath)

Theo

Reply to
Theo