Piggin Service Valves

Is it me, or do service valves always weep a bit?

I do a lot of change taps/change sink jobs and always seem to find the service valves (if fitted at all) weep and I end up working with wet arms!

Got to the point where I've just made up a couple of 2" lengths of copper pipe with stop ends & compression nuts & olives so I can blank off the service valves.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wouldn't rate the usual cheap ones any better than gate valves. They often leak, and sometimes the shaft snaps off. What is the best solution? Full bore valves, or comventional stop taps?

Reply to
<me9

Cheap ones do - especially in hard water areas.

I have similar stubs for fitting to radiator tails for much the same reason!

Reply to
John Rumm

Are these not supposed to have a correct orientation? Maybe the leaky ones are the wrong way round. The one under my sink is.

As to useful connectors I made a length of hose up with 3/4 BSP connections so that when I remove radiators I can bypass the leaking rad valve without having to drain the system

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The hose idea is one I have used - I also use it to flush the system - usually by screwing it into one of the top blanking plugs (yes - old radiators) and opening another to drain the system.

Reply to
John

Sorry to be a bit dim, but can you explain how that works?

Reply to
Huge

Sometimes when I remove a radiator one of the valves still leaks even when turned off (and in the case of TRVs with no locking cap I worry about the temperature dropping and the valve opening). It is just a hose with 3/4 BSP connectors (and two 1/2 BSP adaptors if needed) that fits between the two rad valves. I really should have used blanks but did not have any at the time so made the hose up instead. This hose also serves the dual purpose of allowing me to drain the system later and replace the dodgy valve.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On 15 Apr 2007 09:57:27 GMT, Huge mused:

I was wondering that. My easier way of bypassing leaking rad valves that let by is to just blank them off.

Reply to
Lurch

Oh, I see. Sorry, I thought you meant you had some demon scheme for changing the valves without draining/freezing. We have had to have a series of TRVs changed over the last few years & I'm always looking for easier ways of doing them.

Reply to
Huge

Swap them live, it takes some balls but I have done it. No guarantees about the mess but if the room is getting decorated!!!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A mate of mine wanted a new feed to a radiator. The easiest way to do it was from the tails of the rad in the adjacent room. So I said the simplest way is to have a service valve ready, chop the pipe with a pipe cutter and then shove your valve over the pipe. It was a vented system with only 20' head, so I told him he would not lose much water.

I was working on something else in the house when I heard the swearing. Went to investigate and found black gunk all over the floor, walls, and even ceiling! Seems he had a spot of bother. I said, I would do the next one. First clue was he commented on the fact that I had the service valve already assembled - with nut and olive in place! It seems he had cut the pipe, forgot to stick his thumb over the end and then set about placing the back nut on the pipe first, then the olive, then the valve. Then found he had left the spanner out of reach!

Reply to
John Rumm

Did he let the central heating cool down first? If he did it was the only thing he got right. Swapping just a rad valve is not too bad as you resuse the olive and nut.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yup it was cool. Needed to put a new service valve in place to allow a new tee'd section to be added in before the existing rad.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

What's the difference between a service valve and an isolation valve?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:56:48 +0100, Peter Twydell mused:

Pretty mUcH nothing. Most of it's just what you were brought up on.

Reply to
Lurch