Phwoaaaaaaaar, this gigabit stuff is the dogs doo-dahs.

I've not heard the term for a few decades, but that used to be called "Sneakernet".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Or as I also heard it phrased once - "never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes" (possibly Tannenbaum)

Reply to
John Rumm

Or, from "Snow Crash", a jumbo jet full of CD-ROMs.

Reply to
Huge

42-ton artic loaded with USB sticks.
Reply to
Bob Eager

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes"

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , at 08:59:48 on Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Mike Barnes remarked:

Back in the day, I had a sneakernet, but it was a 1.4MB floppy diskette and not a drive.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:00:45 on Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Bob Eager remarked:

In terms of sneaking data around as compactly as possible, MicroSD is an order of magnitude more dense than most[1] USB sticks. Available in 16GB and around £1/GB for branded ones.

[1]Although I have seen USB sticks which are as flat as, and about half the size of, a regular SD-card.
Reply to
Roland Perry

I use 32g microSD cards, about 60p a gig from 7dayshop.

Reply to
dennis

thats ok if you don't want to copy the data, but the point being made is that gigabit Ethernet is as fast as the disk will handle, so in terms of getting data off computer a onto computer B its going to take at least twice as long to do it all onto a SD and then off again later.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 22:08:38 on Wed, 20 Mar

2013, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

You are missing the point. A jumbo full of CD-ROMs or an artic loaded with memory stick/cards can travel rather further than the gigabit ethernet.

Reply to
Roland Perry