pH meters

I bought a pH meter which is aimed at gardeners ...

thought I could also use it on liquids ... but I have serious doubt it is reading acidity correctly. Is there a simple way of testing ?

In water it read 7 .. (so OK there) ... I tried in in a bottle of white vinegar with is rated at 5% acidity it reads pH 6

Is there a simple home way of testing calibration ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

google diy buffer solutions.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

>> I thought I could also use it on liquids ... but I have serious doubt it

You are very lucky to get that result it was pure chance. Rainwater usually has enough CO2 dissolved to be slightly acidic pH 5 and tapwater is buffered towards alkaline to avoid dissolving the pipes.

(so OK there) ... I tried in in a bottle of white

Vinegar is a fairly dilute solution of a weak acid but it should be about pH 3 or so. You can buy indicator solution or strips of paper for next to nothing that cover the 0-14 range (or selected ranges). eg

Is there a simple home way of testing calibration ?

Of the things you can likely find on the kitchen/garage shelf. Sodium bicarbonate, carbonate, ammonia and sodium hydroxide (careful) as bases in rough order and acetic acid, citric acid (lemon juice), sulphuric, hydrochloric acid as a strong acids.

Take care with any strong alkali or acid they can be unforgiving.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On 09/09/2012 21:47, Martin Brown wrote:> On 09/09/2012 21:32, Rick Hughes wrote: >> I bought a pH meter which is aimed at gardeners ...

But how would I know what pH reading I should get from them ? i.e is lemon juice pH 1,2,3,4 ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Fuck me. Orange juice is 3 lemon juice is 2 according to a simple check in Wikipedia. And you mean e.g. not i.e.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Use the cheap paper test strips from eBay instead.

Are you incapable of using Google or something?

Martin Brown

Chris Hogg

In message , Rick Hughes writes

You can get buffer solutions of (IIRC) pH 4.7 and 11 which are the standards used for calibration

Reply to
geoff

I think it's RTFM time. I had one of those some years ago. They are not very good. As I recall the instructions state that they will not work with solutions they will only work when rammed into the soil. They are not proper pH meters which have a porous glass electrode, they work on the voltage generated by the bimetallic tip when in contact with soil and apparently that will not work properly in a liquid.

At the time I had access to a lab with a proper pH meter and the Gardman types produced very odd results when used with pH reference buffer solutions.

Short summary, the Gardman and similar "pH meters" are about as much use as if they had been made from chocolate.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The instructions on mine didn't say anything about 'no liquids" about all it says ... .. "clear away top soil, add water, mix with soil, insert probe, wait 1 minute take reading."

You may be right that it will not be much good.

I wonder if I can get a pH probe to use with a MultiMeter ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thnx .... found some on ebay

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Exactly what I was after .... Thank you

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Sorry that I have upset you so much .... please feel free to ignore any future emails from me.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

You haven't *upset* me dear boy, just astonished me that you were unable to discover that for yourself on WinkyPedia or elsewhere. Took me all of

4.27 secs. Hmmm, must be modern education systems.
Reply to
Tim Streater

It took you that long because you knew what to search for. If you know nothing about something, you sometimes don't know where to start.

Reply to
stuart noble

The question related to ph. So I typed ph into the Wikipedia search box. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When asking about "pH" that seems like a reasonable search term.

Wiki comes about 4th or 5th after "buy pH sponsored adverts" on Bling.

I particularly liked the first ad hit YMMV

Ph Urine at Amazon.co.uk

Urine Low Prices on Ph Urine. Free UK Delivery on Amazon Orders

Reminds me of a problem we once had importing some elephant urine for pregnancy tests (got impounded at customs). Delay was so great that the elephants were obviously pregnant so no-one bothered to follow up. Eight months later we were notified that if we did not go and pay up to collect our goods it would be auctioned off the the highest bidder!

He would have been much better off with paper test strips off eBay. (or a bottle of pH indicator solution) The "soil" pH meter is junk and cannot be relied upon.

Reply to
Martin Brown

When I was at Uni the senior lecturer was researching neural cell lipid changes in humans on poor diets. We got a call from the airport saying he had to go to cargo and talk to the Revenue. They had a case of steel cans consigned to him and were insisting that he open them for inspection. He suggested that they really didn't want to do that because... then some officious prat told him that no one tells the revenue what to do. They got a can opener and opened a can ... of human brains. Apparently the revenue man projectile vomited.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I hope you wrote back, "Are you taking the piss?"

And uk.d-i-y wants to know --- what kind of can opener?

Reply to
Adam Funk