Petrol Pumps

Because the last thing any petrol retailer *really* wants is for you to pay at pump, thus missing out on all the special offers in the shop.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Used one at a Morrisons in the past year or two that dispensed in increments of £5. Buggered if I can remember where

Reply to
The Other Mike

That would be why Asda has removed almost all their kiosks and switched to pay at pump then.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He's almost right - what he said applies to all apart from the supermarkets.

For all retailers, the money is made in the shop rather than petrol. It's just that for supermarkets, people will be going to the shop anyway.

Reply to
Clive George

On 13/10/2014 10:42, "Nightjar

Reply to
polygonum

There was a particularly daft one near here. Two exit routes from the pumps past a kiosk in the middle of the pair of exit roads. Hence if you went down the left one, fine the kiosk was on your side of the car. Take the other route, and you have to get your passenger to pay!

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps they were following the original Wolmart architect plans too closely.

The entry and exit roads of Macdonald's drive throughs always seem the wrong way about to me.

Reply to
Graham.

There was a £1 note acceptor a garage near here in the 1970s. For use at night when the site was completely un-manned

Reply to
Graham.

So if you fill up with say 50 litres at 6p off you've saved 3 quid - that's about 2.5 litres, less the extra fuel you've used to get to the

6p off filling station.
Reply to
bert

you could probably get a couple of gallons for a pound then. When I got my first car, 1964, you could get 4 gallons for a pound. I can recall my dad getting petrol at 2/6 a gallon.

Reply to
charles

That's for foreign visitors :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , bert writes

you are assuming that he means travelling much out of your way specially to fill up at a cheaper station. Doesn't that rather depend on where you live, what petrol stations you live near or go past?

But you most people don't need to do that, they probably go pasta variety of petrol stations on their regular journeys, they just need to choose with a little care. On my journeys into our local town, I can easily go past a sainsburys, Tesco, shell or BP, without going out of my way by more than a couple of miles (if at all)

Reply to
Chris French

Spaghetti junction?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Our local Asda has a drive-thru petrol station where you stop at a window as you are leaving. I am surprised it has not changed to pay at the pump yet. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Couple of miles will cost you at least 60p, one way or another. Safest is not to go out of one's way at all.

Best we got was when Tesco had that really dopey offer a couple of years ago. We were able to run the tank right down and then go right past it on a journey. Saved £28 (we got 50p/lt off).

Reply to
Tim Streater

You must enjoy visiting filling stations. Can't remember when last I didn't fill up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Tim Streater writes

Well, yes, I tend not to go out of my way, and time things to get the best deal when I'm passing. I was just taking issue with Bert's assumption that you have to drive out of your way to get the better deals.

But if I can save 5p L or more (not hard with the current Tesco Clubcard promotion) then going via that petrol station on the home from town makes sense if I am buying 60L

Reply to
Chris French

I can't remember the last time I used cash to pay either.

Reply to
Chris French

The main reason is that I am holding a voucher for Np/L off at some supermarket or other and I need to do a bit of quick mental arithmetic to work out how much fuel to buy. I only fill at best possible price.

And I follow the offers around - serial disloyalty pays.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Likewise. Perhaps some other countries don't do cards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)