Petrol in Diesel Engine

Yes I really hated having to get in the Q for the one diesel pump behind a lot of petrol-heads who could get in any Q.

But fortunately it's not like that anymore

Tim

Reply to
tim

Getting a little off topic, but since we're banging on about cars, does anyone know what the music is from that new Peugeot 205 add? It's been annoying me for days, sounds familiar ... very moody track??

al

The smaller unleaded opening on newer cars will not accept a diesel nozzle without significant difficulties, however it's really easy to fill a diesel with unleaded! The differences in colour coding adopted by the oil companies adds to the confusion. It needs a standard colour scheme world wide.

As for daft, how about calling standard unleaded 95 ron "Premium" and high octane 97 ron "Super" unleaded! Most people regard "Premium" as better than "Super" but at least the only harm you can do is waste money.

Reply to
Doctor D.

I thought this too until I actually tried one. Take a Golf 130 TDi, Megane

120 DCi or Focus 115 TDCi for a spin and eat your words!
Reply to
Doctor D.

The 206 GTI ad with the people with creases in the back of their shirts is called 'play away from home' and the music is from the film soundtrack to '28 days later' called 'In the house - In a heartbeat' Quite dark, chilling, slightly deranged.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

They have. Unleaded nozzles are narrower with knobled ends. It is not possible to put a diesel nozzle into a petrol car's hole (except for ancient cars originally sold for leaded).

It is possible to put petrol in a diesel, but it probably doesn't matter so much, as discusssed here...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On considerable, I think you're right.

Reply to
Davey

And that's why they are good for tractors, and nothing else.

I had two turbo diesels and was glad to get back to a real car.

I know. Awful isn't it. All that pollution: black soot they spew out (cacogenic) and the noise. They should be banned forthwith.

Reply to
IMM

Ther are all sorts of diesels, and all sorts of petrol engines. Eiether can be made torquey, revvy, narrow or wide power band.

Diesel is more effeiceint at part throttle mainly tgho modern injection has made petrol very good, and its also more BTU per liter in terms of energy.

The engines are heavier, and tend to spew out carbon at full throtttle, where a diesel is least efficient.

I think the emissions are extremely nasty, and would buy a cat diesel if I could.

You pays yer money. I drive both.Ther isn't ultimately a huge amount of difference performance wise in a decent engine between them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A diesel does not have a throttle, it is full air all the time.

Reply to
IMM

It isn't.

Reply to
IMM

It is conventional to refer to any speed reduction system on an IC engine as a throttle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vectra's for one have had a cat since they first came out. Think Golf's (and their siblings) do as well.

Reply to
harrogate

STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PETROL IN A DIESEL WILL WARP THE HEAD IF NOT BLOW THE THING AWAY ESPECIALLY SUCH A STRONG MIX.

TAKE THE FUEL LINE OFF AND PUMP IT OUT WITH THE ELECTRIC PUMP OR BUY ANOTHER ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP FOR SUCH EMERGENCIES FROM A SCRAP YARD. DRAIN INTO A DRUM AND GIVE IT TO A TREE SURGEON OR SOMEONE WITH A TWO STROKE MOTOR.

The AA will charge an arm and a leg for doing the above even for it's most respected members. Disposing of the fuel is the problem. You can use the fuel in a petrol engine but slip it in one gallon at a time when you fill it up.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Damn - this is worrying - I suddenly find myself in full agreement with IMM...

What shall I do? ;-)

Ah! I know - New Liebour is the party of (screwing) small business - ah that's better feel ok now!

Reply to
John Rumm

Look to the heaven as you are now enlightened.

Reply to
IMM

...typing in uppercase, noone will read it.

Not at 10% it won't.

Only if you're of a very nervous disposition, and have little understanding of chemistry and IC engines.

Reply to
Grunff

Well any diesel I have driven, including BMW's finest., all felt like they had to be rowed along on the gearbox. The low end torque that is talked about never manifested itself in my presence.

What I really don't understand is why peoplr who buy diesel engined cars then procedd to drive the sh-one-t out of them. What are they trying to prove ?

And as for reliability. Diesel engines in boats were ultra-reliable until they started fitting turbo-chargers and letting them rev higher. Reliability went out the window, and if you really need an emetic try reading a repair estimate for a turbo charged Volvo diesel boat engine.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I drive a diesel Freelander which is really a tractor with a bit of fancy bodywork bolted on :)

A few weeks back I got to hire a Mondeo TDCi for a couple of days whilst my Freelander was in for servicing. I didn't check what was under the bonnet of the TDCi, but the thing went like lightning (comparitively to the Freelander) when I hoofed it. I thought "hell, these petrol engines sure put the diesel to shame!".

When I got home I got the user manual out. This thing I was giving credit to was a 2L diesel. Went like a steam train on steroids when you put the hammer down, plenty of grunt and really smooth.

The new TD4 Freelander is a lot better as well.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

This is a well known characteristic of the plumbers favourite Transit Van.

Reply to
Peter Parry