Petrol Generator to Power a Cement Mixer

"Pat" wrote | Can someone explain the 110V Vs 230V

110V big yellow round plugs 230V big blue round plugs

:-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cheers Rick but unfortunately I am in the Rep of Ireland. Sorry for busting in on this UK DIY site.

The Genny complains a bit.... if too much goes into the mixer sometimes it will just stop..... plus it doesn't seem to be turning the mixer as fast as it should.

Reply to
Pat

Hasn't got enough grunt, you need a bigger one... Look at the mixers rating plate take the power and double it to get a ball park figure for a generators rating then be generous. So if it comes out at 2.4kVA and you have a choice of 2.5 or 3kVA gennes go for the 3kVA one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like genny underrated then. But... have you had it serviced? engines can lose a lot of power through off ignition or valve timing, dirty plugs, clogged air filter, dirty jets, falling comperssion, etc.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Just thought...

IIRC the gen's a 1.2kVA one? If so, if you plug a 1kW heater into it it should be as happy as pie. If it struggles and falters then somethings amiss with it. It can be expected to drop in speed very slightly, but thats all.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I think the genny is underpowered but it might need servicing alright. Have been pricing a new 3.5KVa and it works out at about 550 Euro think that is about 350 GBP. Not sure if I need to spend that kind of money. Am thinking of what other uses it would have. My other option for the mixer is to get a tractor powered one second hand. Am lucky enough to have a tractor so it might be economical...... will have alot of other work for it. Am just weighing up the advantages of the new genny and don't think its a good investment. Anyone argue differently?

Thanks for all your replies!!!!

Reply to
Pat

If the tractor is suitable then it is possible to get generators that fit on the linkage and run from the PTO . That could be another option. Might be worth enquiring in an agricultural machinery supplier or scanning the list on some farm auctions.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

IMHO getting a bigger generator to power the mixer is much more versatile than a PTO mixer that can only mix.

However I don't think running the tractor to get a couple of kW of power would be particularly fuel efficient. Of course if the tractor is burning red diesel the economics are very much different compared to white diesel or petrol...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice