Petrol from air.

For complete combustion of methanol it is:

3 CH3OH + 2 H20 -> 2 CO2 + 4 H2O

(apologies for the lack of subscript)

Reply to
Fred

You don't need free oxygen?

And why are there:

3 carbons on the left and 2 on the right? 5 oxygen on the left and 8 on the right? 14 hydrogen on the left and 8 on the right?

Summat not quite right there some where...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anything that combusts without free oxygen, is an explosive - it will go bang all by itself. I'll remember that as I drink my next G&T (a mixture of ethanol & water rather than methanol & water, but what the hell. Cheers!).

I think Our Fred needs to revisit his O-level Chemistry.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I gave up chemistry after O level but even I can see you have a lot more to apologise for.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

er, no. It's

CH3OH + O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Still not right.

Each methanol needs two oxygen atoms for the carbon atom and two for the four hydrogen atoms. so that's 4 atoms in all, of which it can supply one. So it needs 3 extras. Well they come in pairs so its

2 x CH3OH + 3 x O2 -> 2 x CO2 + 4 x H2O

Good thing none of you have a vote on energy policy or something..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still doesn't balance. Try:

2 CH3OH + 3 02 -> 2 CO2 + 4 H2O
Reply to
Tim Streater

How embarrassing! Sorry, for typing nonsense. The above is what I meant to type. How I managed to put water on both sides of the equation I do not know! I wasn't supposed to be on Usenet when I posted it so perhaps it was because I was rushing before anyone spotted me! Sorry.

Reply to
Fred