Pest control came and dealt with wasp nest in garden, what about stragglers?

MM wrote:

I have never been stung by a hornet or wasp and I live in a country with probably many more stinging biting annoying things than you have,now if you were talking about mosquitoes it would be a different matter. I have been stung by bees a couple of times and if I had been the bee I would have stung me. one I rode into at 40 MPH on a scooter and another I trod on . I have stood still many times when a mud hornet has hovered 6 inches in front of my face with its mud ball in hand seeing if I was a threat.

That sound like a right shithole of a country. Now, let me guess .........

Indeed.
--
Adam

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 18:43:25 +0100, "ARW"

Duh!
(No further follow-up response necessary.)
MM

Not even one to call you a knob head?
--
Adam

Yes but all those queens would be hibernating and ready to start again next year.
There is no shortage of Wasps here despite my efforts in the Spring.

--
Tim Lamb

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 18:23:54 +0100, Tim Lamb

It is ludicrous for people to say we should keep an active wasp nest in the garden just yards from where children are playing or neighbours are relaxing. I couldn't give a flying f**k about nature, I just wanted the venomous little critters destroyed with ultimate prejudice, especially after having been stung, the severe pain of which lasted ALL day.
And that seems to have happened! I am very, very thankful for chemicals, and many thanks to men with lances.
MM

I come from a long line of soft fruit growers and have a built in prejudice:-)
However, if they are not an inconvenience, I'm inclined to leave them alone. Without such predators we would be feet deep in Greenfly each year.
--
Tim Lamb

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 08:16:29 +0100, Tim Lamb

If I lived on a 3-acre smallholding like the one I grew up on in Kent, provided the wasp nest was a safe distance from human habitation, sure, they could stay. But these things were buzzing all over the back lawn. They had to go.
MM
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 08:16:29 +0100, Tim Lamb

THEY HAVEN'T ALL DIED!!! I just went out there with the long-handled garden shears and started cutting away and quite a few suddenly flew out! I rang the chappie again and he's coming tomorrow to give them another blast. Ruddy good job I put on thick gloves, thick jacket with elastic bands around the sleeves, plus a brimmed hat with net curtain material draped over and tightly stuffed inside the jacket. I didn't get stung this time.
He said, can you see the entrance hole any better? And I have to say, no, not yet. That's why I wanted to cut the long grass around the spot where they fly in to reveal the entrance clearly.
Dunno what else to do. I thought, maybe set up the rotary mower, wait till dusk, put my rudimentary "bee suit" back on and mow over the area a couple of times. But I fear that's going to really set them off again. Plus, the grass catcher would be full of dying wasps and maybe some really lively ones.
Fuck nature!!
MM

Well you know what Hercule Poirot nearly said: "In the summer, the outdoors, it should be closed!".
I stopped my lawnmower over the entrance to a wasps' nest once, and carried on about 10 mins later. They ignored me throughout the process, including when I ReadyMixed their nest entrance.

That should be safe enough.

Get kitted up and try again. The chemical may not have destroyed the brood which may continue to emerge.

I guess you could leave your shears for the professional to use.

Well, some of it. I have got upwards of 20 Mallards from the neighbouring shoot doing acrobatics to reach my ripening grapes. Before that they were catching Crane flies on the lawn and playing shove halfpenny with the windfall apples.
--
Tim Lamb

MM wrote:

No sympathy,if you left them alone they would not have stung you, it is your own fault.

Sorry, but I simply cannot work in the garden cutting back the weeds if by doing so I disturb a wasp nest from which hordes of angry wasps exit and go on the attack.
Tell you what, if there's a next time, I'll get YOU to clear away the weeds and stuff, okay? But you'll chicken out, won't you?
Maybe you'd like me to buy a bee suit to do the gardening in?
MM
MM wrote:

Do the gardening in a couple of weeks when they are not a problem.Problem solved.

Hah! You glibly say "not a problem", but I reckon these f*ckers are going to hang around all winter, just to be a damn nuisance.
MM

No chance!
--

Chris

On 04/10/2015 15:41, Chris Hogg wrote:

Agreed.

Wrong answer. Why should we have to alter our plans to fit in with wasps? At present it is nice weather for gardening. By the time the wasps have gone it may be rainy/cold/windy.
I agree with the OP. If the wasps were doing no harm, then they should be allowed to stay. But if they are close to a house and are threatening anyone who goes outside, whether or not they actually sting (and they did sting the OP) then they must go - or else be urged to "buzz off" somewhere else.
Be grateful that you are not allergic (like my wife) to wasp stings - she suffered a severe anaphylactic shock after one stung her a few years ago and had to be rushed to hospital because her airway swelled up. Since then, I have to do any gardening near to wasps because she's not prepared to take the risk again. We are always glad when the weather turns cold and kills off wasps.

At last, someone who understands my predicament!
MM