Pest control came and dealt with wasp nest in garden, what about stragglers?

David Lang

David Lang

The last one that stung me was when I went over a speed hump, and a wasp was lying in wait between me and my seat. It stung me just before being squished between me and the seat. The pain was many times worse than a couple of bee stings I've had and the intensity lasted many hours.

Whilst I put up with wasps around me, they tend to be very cheeky in obtaining food, and I hate them being around children who if stung will just perpetuate their fear and hate for wasps.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Are you sure they're wasps? A lot of hover flies look like wasps, it's a mimicry thing, and hover flies certainly do visit flowers.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No chance!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , MM writes

That should be safe enough.

Get kitted up and try again. The chemical may not have destroyed the brood which may continue to emerge.

I guess you could leave your shears for the professional to use.

Well, some of it. I have got upwards of 20 Mallards from the neighbouring shoot doing acrobatics to reach my ripening grapes. Before that they were catching Crane flies on the lawn and playing shove halfpenny with the windfall apples.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's what MM did, a 69 year old 2 year old.

Reply to
The Todal

Yes I'm sure and yes I am aware of those hover flies and some bees even can be mistaken for wasps.

Reply to
Bod

Agreed.

Reply to
Bod

Kids tend to copy what they see adults doing, and sadly what they often see and model is adults reverting to ridiculous infantile behaviour in very low-risk situations. It would be better to have them exposed to such low-risk situations and learn to assess, and mitigate, the risk (ie. by not making such a drama of it).

I'd have thought that was also the uk.d-i-y philosophy (not that there is such, of course)

J^n

Reply to
jkn

At last, someone who understands my predicament!

MM

Reply to
MM

The ones exposed to the powder die fairly rapidly but if it is a big nest then it takes time to diffuse through. The grubs in mine were alive nearly a week later and anglers were happy to take them away.

Leave it be until next weekend unless you enjoy getting stung.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have been stung a few times each by both wasps and bees. In all cases the insect had a fair point as I was accidentally about to crush it.

Main thing about wasps is they can sting repeatedly and if you annoy an entire colony then you can be in trouble.

I have never been stung by one that I had already seen.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Pest control man came again this morning and gave them another blast. There were only one or two flying around, so I reckon he's finally got 'em. I didn't see the one that stung me the other day (swelling completely gone now). Also, the neighbour said, didn't the council provide pest control? But ours doesn't, not since 2004. Expensive business if you've got rats or moles, I should think. This bloke I found covers all standard pests.

MM

Reply to
MM

They do if accidently disturb the nest, which has happened to me twice resulting in tens of stings. I am now anaphylactic.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Yes they do attack humans and animals too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

They do not attack unless provoked or sat on etc. As I said in an earlier post, even when we had a nest 4ft from our front door they never stung us or our visitors. The only sting I ever received was when I was a kid and one landed on my arm, I tried blowing it off. It was only then that it stung. The wasp perceived that action as a threat.

Reply to
Bod

Just to add to that, wasps are only interested in the nectar in flowers and pollinating etc. Humans are of no interest if you leave them alone.

Reply to
Bod