Personal organiser

Anyone care to recommend a modest calendar/organiser for Windows 7? Preferably freeware:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I use the Google Calendar. Not sure if it supports offline use.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thunderbird email client and Lightning calendar add-on?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thunderbird mail with Lightning add on works for me - but I use Tbird anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes: ;-)

A couple of mates use it every day for their businesses and wouldn't be without it.

YMMY of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It does if you use it via Chrome/Chromium (assuming computer access as opposed to 'phone).

Reply to
Chris Green

I use Google calender. I works with my phone and across the OS's I use otherwise (Linux, MacOS, IoS), allows sharing with my wife, works with Alexa,.....

Reply to
Brian Reay

Google gather enough information about me without me giving them even more...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you think 'they' are spying on you use a code ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

The one on the webbie site seems to wrk, but it really depends on what you need it for. I might suggest that some of the skills on the amazon echo are quite good for home use even if sometimes it needs you to go into the app and delete silly stuff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I am in my later 50's and am getting utterly pissed off with constant pop-up ads for Equity Release; PPI Compensation; busty women in my town and all sorts of other "clickbait" s**te across phone and computers.

Just have to accept this is the price I have to pay. Not an option to go "off grid".

Look at

to be properly alarmed.

Reply to
Vortex12

UK's Kalender at

or

Tip: if you want an audible notification, it isn't settable as a default, so it's easier to copy and edit an entry to retain this setting.

Reply to
PeterC

OK Chaps. Enough already! I try to keep Google at arms length but I use T Bird for mail so I'll have a look at their offering.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On today's Google front page: "It's #DataPrivacyDay. Choose the privacy settings that are right for you."

The first thing it does is ask you to sign in or create an account, which rather defeats the point.

Reply to
Max Demian

I'd still give Kalender a look Tim, nothing like using a specific tool designed for the job (rather than using an addon to a mail client etc).

It will popup as you start the PC (if you want) and will popup (and stay there) till you respond (ignore, add time, done etc) and seems utterly reliable and straightforward.

As I mentioned, two of my mates run it for their businesses, one a garage and other a sign company and both use it extensively to keep themselves on track.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

T Bird lightning looks ample for my needs. As you know, the desk top is permanently on with T Bird running. I check several times a day for mail so this seems to require the least effort on my part. Entering details seems fairly foolproof.

I'll discover how the alert functions on Tuesday in time for my Statin check up:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Really? I never see any of this on my computer, and not often on my 'phone.

I run Adblock+, Ghostery and an 18,000 line hosts file (available on request).

Reply to
Huge

use an ad blocker

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I tried various calendar type things years ago. I find a plain text file works far better.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You must be easy to take shopping. ;-)

I'm not sure if that makes any difference. eg, I'd hope the lightening bit would run independently of TB?

See above.

That helps ... and intuitive etc.

Fingers crossed then (for both).

Maybe I'm just 'old skool' but I tend to radiate to those solutions that most people seem to agree are very good, if not de-facto standards in their own right (not saying Lightening isn't etc).

Like, Fore Agent (usenet only), Irfanview, Firefox, Thunderbird (for Mail only), Malwarebytes / Superantispyware / Avast / ZoneAlarm, Libre Office, Imgburn, Handbrake etc etc.

I'm not sure if Kalender is quite up there (as it's not needed by most people like the other stuff) but it does seem to be a go-to for many, looking for a stand alone calendaring solution and who don't particularly want to share or have access via their smartphones etc (even though you can). ;-)

Cheers. T i m

Reply to
T i m