Personal organiser

No, the standalone version of Lightning (called Sunbird) was discontinued 7 years ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use google calendar, it synchs with my phone - so when at dentist i can enter next appointment etc and even if i lose my phone the computer at home has the dates.

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

Ok, but by standalone do you mean you don't get the popup's from the calendar part unless TB is actually running?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Google Calendar.

If you don't care about Google seeing your appointments, it is impossible to beat IME (and I've tried many others). The sharing, layering of multiple calendars and seamless integration with hand held devices is hard to beat.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It wouldn't sync with Tim's (clockwork) phone. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I still use Organizer on this ancient Acorn machine. Does everything I want - and even looks like a Filofax. ;-)

It is still being supported for RISC OS which sort of shows how popular it is there, and I believe has been ported to Windows.

But not free - just cheap for what it does.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , T i m writes

Have just installed Kalender, and added reminders, one for hospital appointment next week, and a reminder to read the leccy meters on the

20th. Delighted how easy it then was to repeat the latter to the 20th of every month forward. Will report back, once it has reminded me.
Reply to
Graeme

Cool. ;-)

Yes, that's the thing ... it was written by someone for themselves and therefore has the sorts of features a real person would want, not a cooperation or somesuch.

Hehe, please do ... it's good to hear how these things work out for 'other people'. ;-)

Whenever I'm at the couple of mates who *rely* on Kalender for their business and using their PC's, it amazes me how tenacious it is re reminders and how easy it isn't to close accidentally. You really have to tell it what you want to do when it prompts, you can't just close it (from what I remember).

It can also be setup in shared mode so you can share it over a LAN and I think you can also share it over the NET (although I've not tried that yet).

It really is one of those 'lovely little programs' that seem to tick all the boxes, assuming you don't want something you can sync across a load of devices (and I know many do these days).

I use POP / SMTP for my main email accounts because 1) I'm generally based in one place and 2) I've seen the issues and heartache IMAP can bring.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I use the scheduler on my 1994 Sharp organiser.

Reply to
Max Demian

The best personal organiser I ever had was my Psion 5MX. Sadly, as time passed it became harder and harder to share the calendars with anything else, so in the end I sold it.

I have high hopes of the Gemini, although they've slightly missed the point - it was the apps that made the 5MX great, not the form factor.

Huge

Try.

Regards

Reply to
Joe

I'd say that sort of thing essential. And a choice of how much warning it gives you.

For example, with insurance, you might want a week's notice - perhaps repeated every day until it is due. And the ability to add a note with what last years premium was,etc. So perhaps a seperate setting for an anniversary like that to differentiate it from a simple reminder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you can see most of that here:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's good because you can share calendars with your other half, also I think it synchronises with Outlook and Apple calendars. Does everything I need.

No good for the paranoid. Tells you "You need to leave now to get to your appointment at ", until you disable it.

I use Keep as a sort of scratch notepad which also synchonises across devices (Android phone, Android Tablet, W10 desktop in my case). Means I can stick reminders on the phone when I am out, or type shopping lists on the desktop and have them available on the phone.

Reply to
newshound

I actually preferred the 3 to the 5 but had reliability problems with both. Some of the Palm Pilots were pretty good too (with the ability to edit contacts, to do lists, etc on the PC and then synchronise).

Smartphone does it all though.

Reply to
newshound

The 3 had terrible issues with its hinges.

The new Gemini looks good but more as a small Linux machine (it will boot in Linux). I can't see it taking over from others already established in the market as either tablets or phones with PDA functions.

Reply to
Brian Reay

We find Google Calender very useful, not least as we have a mix a joint and independent things we do. Sharing calenders ensures we don't 'double book' etc. Throw in key reminders- Car MOT dates, with a prewarning, Car 'Tax' dates, ..... and it is very useful.

As for being paranoid, if Google really want to know when I'm having lunch at my Club, picking up new glasses, I really don't mind. The entries are so short Alexa's version of them is sometimes hilarious- not because I code them, simply due to using a few letters as I type on the phone often as not.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Can you tell me more about the Gemini please, just pointing me at a web site would be sufficient.

Reply to
Chris Green

It. Has. A. Keyboard.

Just take my money.

And no, soft and Bluetooth keyboards don't cut it. Believe me, I've tried.

Sigh. No google on your planet?

Huge

I've yet to find a "calandar" that works, as a standalone program, better than that on the Psion 5.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice