Permissible combi boiler connection point (electrical)

I want to have a combi installed in my kitchen. Regards the electrical mains feed, there is a single switched socket near where I want to locate the boiler. I gather that switched sockets are against the rules because they don't completely isolate the boiler. So how about if I knock the protruding part of the switch off and Araldite over it so that it is no longer a *switched* socket?

Failing that, there is also an old switched, fused outled which used to be used for a small Baby Belling cooker. I could simply wire it in to that. Would either of these options exempt me from filing a Part-P notification to BCO?

Cheers,

Martin

Reply to
Martin H

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:08:42 +0100, Martin H mused:

Not really, because it's then defective equipment in one respect. Some sockets are douple pole switched so some sockets do comply, soe don't. Either way, the single pole switch isn't really an issue as unplugging it completely isolates it.

Depends on the lunar cycle.

Reply to
Lurch

Are you allowed to "repair" broken sockets in this position ? If so, and the switch failed conveniently, then you could probably legally replace with an unswitched socket. Not sure if you'd need to keep the broken one to prove it ... normally I throw away such things. With luck, the guy fitting the boiler would not insist on having the history of the house wiring proved to him, just that at the time of fitting it was OK. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:15:29 GMT, "Neil" mused:

Replace it with a socket with DP switch.

Reply to
Lurch

Let's leave the araldite alone. Either change the socket to an unswitched one or change the socket to a FCU with 3A fuse.

You are not making a new/extension circuit so no notification required. Part P always applies even when the work is not notifiable. Which means the regs must be complied with.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If it's your own house what is all the fuss. So many on here seem to want to advertise what they are about to do and get a thrill from the possibility of "being caught". Just take an advert in the local paper and get a life.

Reply to
Pete