Patio area

I have some memory that this was discussed a while ago but can't find it in the archives - or on cormaic's site

I'm planning a patio behind the house and want to know what people find is a reasonable area. Within reason I can make it as big as I like but there must be a limit cos I don't want to look out of my windows to a sea of concrete

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I've gort 6x4 meters...thats enough for a big table and half a dozen chairs..it really depends what you intend using it for - a single chair, with a table for a book and a wine glass? Or al fresco group sex including penguins..?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I do have a fantasy of me (with a house thats completely finished) sitting on the patio, reaching out and plucking a ripe peach from the tree

A much better fantasy! Will you supply the penguins? What do the table and six chairs get used for ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I hope its already planted :-}

The paying audience !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Depends on sightlines, not area. Think ha-ha.

If you drop the patio below general ground level and then lift the ground at the distant end of the patio, when you look out of the window the patio itself will be hidden from view.

= = = = = | | /\ | - - - - - - - - - - > sight line / \ | / \ | || = / \ = / \ = || = || = || =- ---------------- \ / planted garden - - with shrub \ patio / ----------------------

An alternative is to lift a planted area near the house

= = = = = | | /\ | - - - - > / \ | / \ | / \ = || = || = ------- = / \ = / raised \ = / planter \ =------------ ------------------- patio

An alternative might be a camomile lawn? Be a right b*gger to draw in ASCII art though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Of course!

Now pay attention boys and girls ... answers on a postcard please

How big is your patio? and is it big enough?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

By the woderful lake that will form...

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ar well, that was ASCII art, not builder's plans. You have to imagine the drainage.

Alternatively, it could be a plunning can to get a swimming pool adjacent to a period property without upsetting the Consternation Ossifer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain