Planning a Paver/patio area

I am wanting to tear up a small portion of my yard (about 300 sq ft) and make it a patio area with pavers. Unfortunately, I have a huge maple tree very nearby and I think there may be a problem digging the required 6 inches or more because of the roots from the maple. I like the tree, therefore, killing the roots and increasing the chance of it dying is not an option. One suggestion was to dig about 3 inches or so, until we start to see roots, then level it off with mulch or something, compress it, then lay pavers on top of the mulch, thereby, providing a so called "raised" patio area, which I would support with treated wood borders where necessary. I was wondering if I could use pee gravel in place of the mulch also.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem and/or if you did or not, can you suggest other options for me to achieve my patio area?

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

How big is the tree-- what kind of maple- how close to the trunk do you need to go? Ask a local arborist for their opinion- they can come to the site and tell you how much root pruning the tree will bear. My patio is within 4' of a Swamp Maple - about 3' in diameter. I dug down 2' & cut off roots as big as 4" in diameter on about one third of the perimeter of the tree. It never blinked. It is just as healthy as it was 3 yrs ago- and it provides a great deal of shade for the patio. [it also sheds blossoms, sap and leaves on the patio- but I consider that a fair trade]

If you want a raised patio- use lumber. If I understand what you want to do, you are as likely to harm the tree as if you cut the roots- and you are not likely to end up with pavers that stay in place. Mulch [or pea gravel] under pavers is a bad idea.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Putting a paver patio over the root zone of a tree known to have surface roots is never a good idea. The roots will likely cause the patio to heave.

Reply to
trader4