Paths for new veg garden ?

We're about to lay out a new veg garden - rectangular and flat; 10 x 18m. It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

My initial sketching show some 60m of pathing - what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

My dad a very keen gardener always had `grass` paths, measured so it was either one or two widths of his lawn mower for easy cutting. if he needed to resite the paths it was easily sorted.

Reply to
ss

It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side of the house to the other.

reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

depends. Concrete slabs will remain more or less weed free, but gravel is cheaper. And needs some maintenance. Wood chip looks prety but needs even more manintenanc and isnt cheap.

Grass is very cheap of course but needs lots of maintenance

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

=A0It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side= of the house to the other.

sonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

I would vote for second hand slabs. We did a pretty large veg patch (2-300 metres of path) quite cheaply at our last house. Look in the local paper.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Or go to a little local outfit that makes slabs. Very much cheaper than a DIY shop. Such places are often to be found near gravel quarries. Generally they are happier with cash.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's been used partially before but this is a move of veg from one side o= f the house to the other.

sonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Gravel is fairly practical and has a softer look about it than slabs. Be su= re to lay down a membrane below it else the gravel tends to work its way do= wn into the ground and weeds grow through it. Edging is absolutely vital to= retain it, I find log roll edging easy to install and effective, but there= are are various other edging solutions including terracotta edging tiles e= tc.=20

Gravel needs to be about 10mm. In my view 20mm is too big. Any smaller than= 10mm (e.g. pea gravel) and cats use it as cat litter and it sticks to your= shoes and tracks indoors.

It might need the occasional 'dressing' with a fresh bag of gravel, plus it= helps if you have a garden blower/sucker to clean detritus out of it in th= e spring. If not, a grass rake does a reasonable job.

Slabs will be easier to keep clean and require less maintenance but unless = you can afford real stone tend to look a bit utilitarian and take more work= to lay. Depends what effect you're aiming for.

Reply to
eeyore.is.here

what is going to be a reasonably easy and cost effective way of doing this ?

Grass - low maintenance, cheap and it will produce material for mulching or composting.

Al.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)