Part P & Showers

The Titantic may well have been built by pros, but it was driven by a fool

Reply to
OldBill

dale hammond

But it was still claimed by the builders to be 'unsinkable' !!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

But she would have been un-sinkable if it hadn't been for the un-trained people leaving all the water-tight doors open.

Reply to
BigWallop

Nonsense as usual like all your antisocial postings.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Now where have I heard that before ... oh yes, someone who got electric shocks off a towel rail in the kitchen wasn't it.

Whatever next, padded walls in the building regulations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Totally disagree with that. Knowing all the answers is not what it's about. Recognising the ISSUES, and then seeking the answers where appropriate, is.

Would you apply your thinking to, for instance, airline pilots and withdraw their written procedures manual which they use on every flight - on the grounds that they should know it all? Or would you stop doctors checking up on alternative medicines on the same grounds? I don't think so.

Reply to
Martin

And it would be more meaningful to have details of each of these 5. Where they are caused by amateur sparkies?

All very well said.

(and what exactly would they prefer us to die from anyway?)

Reply to
Martin

A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.

Reply to
Stickems.

What - the old "Safety at any price" argument?

That's a naive, dangerous and fundamentlly flawed argument, and as such is complete bollox.

Reply to
RichardS

And designed by accountants.

Reply to
<me9

I couldn't agree more with that. The fact that someone has to seek advice prior to commencing a job does not mean that he is not competent to do it - merely that he requires further information in order to do it properly. I've said it before and I'll say it again - in the vast majority of cases, a keen diy'er will produce a far superior job to most 'professionals'. I could fill a book with the slipshod work that has been carried out for me and friends/relatives over the years by so-called professional, garage mechanics, tow-bar fitters, kitchen installers, tilers, laminate flooring installers, etc. There *are* some perfectionist professionals out there - but sadly they are few and far between!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

From an unrepentant "upside-downer". What else can you expect?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

SNIP

AIUI there were gaps at the top of the bulkheads allowing one flooded compartment to overflow into the next, and so on.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Nah. The figure of 5 is deaths/year from *fixed* wiring; the equipment (portable and non-portable) ones account for another 14 deaths/year. Accidents scale similarly: 576 non-fatal from fixed wiring, 1700 non-fatal from equipment. These numbers are over at

's own department admitted it loused up by using the all-electrical figures - themselves remarkably low - rather than the ones relating only to fixed wiring. That admission is buried over at
's all one line - if your browser wraps it, rebuild it). It uses figues of 2.6 deaths and 447 accidents - I don't know where the discrepancy of 5 vs 2.6 comes from.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

No I would not. But the way the question was worded and indeed that it was asked just emphasises that the OP does not understand the issues or the answers.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

And surely the professionals would have been responsible for ensuring that those who left the doors open were trained. ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Surely the Captain would have been a professional fool!

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Let's be honest. He was over promoted when he was a cabin boy ;o)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks