Part and new rings

Paying tax like other firemen.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is a statement by the poster about the extent of his knowledge of electric wiring.

It is also an anagram of Sir Bung, which could provide our kook with yet another moniker.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It looked all plastic Jerry, but water, 3ph.......

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

......my God, it is what you put around cabers for God's sake!!!!

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Stuart, this obvious logic passes them by. Sad but true.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Caber makers have been know to fit them with axes.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

...erm...erm..would that not be a ring off a ring? There that is nice for you, you didn't have to think.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

There is. You can run a ring off a heavier cable ring. My garage has one. Taken off the downstairs ring an exterior cable runs to the garage where there is a garage CU and a lighting and power ring is run off this - two sub rings. It is amazing how so many so-called electrical know-it-alls here, yourself excluded, can't figure that out.

That is the sticking point - the cost, not the legislation which is pretty well sound.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Some might well feel like putting a caber into your sub ring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How does a final ring circuit run off a garage CU differ from a final ring circuit run off the house one?

And a ring for lighting?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

..a hard morning at the cabers and given him a brainwave...he storms....

.......I will have to explain this in caber terms for him...you take a caber from one ring, connect it via another caber to another ring...There that's better for him...

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

.....he has an inkling which turns to a statement...read on...

...that is what you do..... you put cabers all over the rings.....that is better for him...he understands that better...

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

And where in the OSG or BS7671 would one anticipate finding that little bit of bodgery?

(I can tell you - in the section on fault finding cross linked ring circuits!)

Reply to
John Rumm

This is not the correct way to feed a power to an outbuilding.

The garrage CU should be fed from a dedicated circuit on the main CU - not fed from another circuit.

You are in all likelhood exceeding the limit for a safe point load on the primary ring circuit (check the MCB ratings on the garrage CU and report back) . You also don't have the required discrimination between circuits.

(I hope you also understand why what you have described here is *not* what you described as a "sub ring" previously)

Time to call a pro perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm

Bodgery? Typical know-it-all DIYer. Look at my post on the rings in the garage.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I did - sounds like that is bodged as well. Did you do it?

Reply to
John Rumm

You obviously know sweet FA about electrical matters, yet you are allowed to spout garbage about it. Virtually every new house will be wired the same way. Some may take the garage supply back to the CU with its own mcb. If the CU is not handy they will take it from the downstairs ring using an unswitched fused spare.

Now you know.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Ideally yes. Most new houses are not. A switchless fused spare is taken off the downstairs ring with 13 A fuse in it, then an underground exterior cable from that spare to the garage CU.

Totally inside the regs. Four levels levels of safety. The garage CU, the fused spare, the downstairs ring mcb and the RCD. And if an appliance off the garage sockets the fuse it that plug too, so five safety levels.

It is a sub ring. A ring off a ring. Cor Blimey! Can't you figure that out? You can have any sub ring off any other ring. There are various ways of protecting that sub ring.

For Part P purposes, the sub ring is in effect a part of the master ring, so this is just an extension of the master ring.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Adding the "fused spur" is yet another deviation from what you described previously. It will still not comply with BS7671. You do not have discrimination between circuits. You have have also by default included a 30mA RCD on the ligting circuit in the garrage. Your fused spur can limit the point load imposed on the ring, however it also now restricts the total load supportable on the garrage CU to at best 4.6kW (but more likely 3kW)

But apparently you do not. I would suggest this is something for you to do a little more research into if you wish to enter into debate on the topic. You currently seem to be hopelessly out of your depth, and are proposing solutions that are at best qestionable, and in many cases dangerous.

Reply to
John Rumm

What would be the purpose of the CU in the garrage in this case?

no

lots of fuses "safety" RCDs in the wrong place "safety"

Keep digging ;-)

The introduction of protective devices at the junction of one circuit and the other changes the situation. So it is not what you described originally (your so called "sub ring").

However it does not get round the requirements to provide discrimintation between circuits so that a fault on one circuit does not affect the other.

"master ring" huh.... ;-)

You are talking bollocks.

Reply to
John Rumm