Part and new rings

Part P specifically says a DIYer cannot install a complete new ring. A DIYer can replace parts of a defective ring. If the defective part was at the CU and it was replace with heavier cable, a new sub ring could be taken from this. All within Part P. Or is it?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

"Obviously" doing things with the CU should not be considered DIY. Pay the money & get a pro in.

Reply to
RichardS

Replacing an mcb and replacing the whole CU are two very different things. Did you notice?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You haven't quite got to grips with electrics, have you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No it doesn't. A DIYer can still do everything. If you're going to keep talking about Part P, for goodness sake take the time to sit down and read it. It really isn't that difficult to understand.

In your case, you already said you would have to get a pro in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think when he said that a diy'er can't do it he probably meant they couldnt do it unrestricted by red tape not that they could not do it .

A bit like saying no-one can murder their mother..well,obviously they can .it just ain't legal.lol Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

What is different about the terminals that feeds the ring in a CU to that of the terminals in the first socket along (in either direction) ? If the person is competent to cut the ring at the socket [1] and add

100 meters of extra cable why can't that be done at the CU, and if the person is competent to design such an extension to the ring the person will also be competent to install a new ring. [1] or even before that point, like two feet from the CU.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Notice what? When did the MCB come into this? You can't fit them with a hacksaw, you know.

Reply to
RichardS

This gets tedious - i am allowed to wire 3 phase, single phase and DC kit, connect 350KVA generators, commission and fault find invertor drives and plc control panels at work yet I can't run an extra socket in at home...Grrrrrr But I presume I could change a washing m/c motor or a magnetron in my microwave ?

If they ban working over a certain height (2 metres ? ) then where does that leave window cleaners ?

And what about changing your brake pads/ disks on your car ? ...... surely a lot more dangerous than fitting an extra socket !!!!

btw - I can fit an extra socket at work but not at home - bloody stupid or what !!!!!

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why can't you fit an extra socket at home? Part P allows this except in bathroom, kitchens and outdoors.

Reply to
Graham Jones

No, its installing a new "circuit" is within the scope of the legislation. It does not mention "rings" as such.

What is a "sub ring"?

Reply to
John Rumm

oh, I agree with you. Tongue firmly in cheek. I refer you to comments previously made by DrIvel in the "Part P inspection..." thread...

Reply to
RichardS

Graham Jones wrote :-

really ? .... so i can spur or break into the ring and install as many sockets as i like except in the above locations ?

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There's no such thing as a sub ring, so it would suggest that it could not be taken from this.

Part P doesn't ban anyone from doing any work. It just says that it comes under building control and that people not registered with a guild must apply for building control oversight (and presumably pay a fee at least ten times the cost of the work).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yeah - you have to get a pro. to do that 'cos it's sooo complicated and only THEY can do it right -well their certified aren't they. I'm with Jeff on this stuff. The most dangerous thing about installing a domestic ring is the mountain of red tape fat boy et al IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE has introduced. Changes of terminolgy for very little purpose (other than change the rules, charge more, employ more pencil pushers etc). If it was truly about safety then ok but does anyone really beilve the cowboys will go away. Of course not. Yes there are sensible measures and some level of practical safe rules and best practice I'm all for. But we have situations as Jeff describes. And pedants live off threads like this. They could make opening envlopes an ISO standard (maybe it already is). I could list pages here of pathetic pratice I've seen over the years from "the pros". From, yes, changing brake pads (remember that garage that welded the pads to the calipers - I kid you not), to "How to wire a plug" in an "accredited electrics" course" where the conductors were wired anticlockwise at the terminal post. It grates to be told by government that I can't wire my own place if I want to when I am fully qualified (well, was 'til fat boy belched) practically and theoretically years of experience etc etc. Nanny state - my god where will it all end.

Reply to
Parttime

Well, as many as the wiring regulations will allow you to.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Something he'd use for feeding all those above sink water heaters?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

May the 5th if you want! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Actually it will end on the 6th April [1], it's just that it might re-start again on May 6th....

[1] HMG *should* then become 'aparty-political', becoming nothing more than a care-taking function.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

But Jerry...

You're making the fatal assumption that a) logic is implicit in the legislation and b) that it is present in DrIvel's exposition of it.

Reply to
Andy Hall