Pandora's Junction Box revisited

Well, it's been longer than expected, but I've finally got my junction box sorted out. Those of you with good memories will remember that I posted this:

After re-arranging the earths into some sort of sanity:

Opening the box revealed this mess:

So, after a lot of checking I discovered that half the cables weren't connected to anything. I also found another junction box not passing through the earth - not so bad when feeding a transformer for 12V lights, but I wanted to fit mains ones. I also found another ceiling rose being used as a junction box, and a 13A socket fed from the lighting circuit - though on a shelf, so it looks like it was intended for a light. No label, though.

Having got rid of the redundent cables, removed the surplus junction boxes, and replaced both the dining room and bathroom lights, it now looks like this:

And with the lids on:

Everything labelled, no redundant cables, the earths connected to proper terminals (and sleeved). There's still one flaw - there's no sign of equipotential bonding in the bathroom. There's an RCD on the shower circuit, though, and the shock risk from the lights should be pretty low since they're out of reach without standing on something, so it can wait for now.

Now to find out what's in the other loft...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

That looks brilliant. And to think that you were told by some that you needed a rewire.

I am looking forward to seeing the other loft.

Reply to
ARW

Can't you afford a label-making machine you scruffy bastard?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I suppose it's an illusion, but the live wire, top middle cable of the middle box doesn't look like it's got any brown insulation.

Reply to
Graham.

Nice job - glad you got it sorted...

Yup a voyage of discovery!

Reply to
John Rumm

A salutary lesson on keeping records of work done over different occupants! I of course cannot see the pictures, but I've found strange things in this

1939 house like wall light wires still live just inside the plaster, and two core joined in to the junction for upstairs stuff, and a weird little two pin socket inside a fitted wardrobe upstairs mysteriously connected to theback of a spur in the next room feeding a bar heater.

I'm sure it was logical at the time! Brian----

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nice. What brand/model of junction boxes are those? (I don't think I've seen them before.)

Good luck!

Reply to
Adam Funk

This one

ARW

To be fair my labelling machine has for some reason started printing out in Russian.

So I am back on the sharpie pens until I fix it.

Reply to
ARW

Which apprentice had it last and did he change the keyboard out of malice or imcompetence?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Does it translate what you enter in English or have you learnt Russian? :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Thanks, I'll make a note of that.

Reply to
Adam Funk

That's it - or at least that's the one on the left. The other two are Surewire SW7M-MF. There's a subtle catch with using both - they look very similar, but the order of connections for both the lights and power in/out is reversed between them.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Are those surewire boxes available un-configured for more versatile use? I'm thinking for central heating zone wiring. Mine is particularly complicated with central heating,DHW, solar thermal, a UPS and a monitoring/logging system hanging off various nodes in the wiring. Even though I started out with it quite tidy, the system has "grown" somewhat. I don't need any significant current/power capability but majority is at

240vac. Cheers Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Haven't you got a wiring centre? Or have you outgrown it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Clock socket?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I have two, one up one down with a mega cable between them but something like that surewire might help tidy up as it has more cable entry points.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No, there are only three versions. Two are the ones I used - a single switch controlling up to seven lamps, and four lamps each with their own switch. The other simply has six in/out connections connected together.

There are other versions listed on the website, and shown in the leaflet as "available November 2014", but they don't appear to be available - a five-lamp version of the multiple lamp box, two and six way versions of the single lamp box, and an eight-way splitter.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey