Painting shelves

An incredibly basic question -- but I'm convinced there must be some clever technique that I'm missing.

I've tried painting shelves with them sitting on bits of newspaper. It works, but I tend to end up with a fair amount of paper stuck to the wood -- and cutting it off can damage the fresh paintwork.

I've thought about trying to do it on trestles, but that either means buying lots and lots of trestles, or only doing one coat on one shelf at a time -- very slow.

As I said, it's a simple question about a simple job. But does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
jw_sw1

Why not put some blocks of wood between the newspaper and the shelves? Supporting them in exactly the same way as the trestles, except having no legs.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Put newspaper on worksurface

Put slats on newspaper

Put shelves on slats

Paint shelves carefully

Household Authorities happy

You live long life

Reply to
EricP

Dang! some people have no idea.

Take shelves. Hammer two nails in the ends of shelves. Put paper down on floor. Put two pieces of wood down on paper spaced apart the length of the shelves. Rest shelves on spaced apart wood via the nails. Paint one side then turn over. Paint other side. Then leave to dry.

Reply to
George

Thank you all -- I knew there must be some cleverer solutions and am kicking myself for not thinking of them. But this one:

...is a masterpiece of ingenuity. I love it. Thank you, George.

James

Reply to
jw_sw1

Ok so you don't want the slats and newspaper!

Nice one George. Simple and effective.

Reply to
EricP

Someone will be along shortly saying...

But the ends of the shelves show. :-)

So I'll beat them to it.

When the shelves have dried, fill holes with grip fill and paint ends.

Reply to
George

Knock nail in centre back edge of shelf and clamp in Workmate

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Nah, you can only do one at a time like that.

Reply to
George

Excellent tip, George

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Excuse for more Workmates.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The trestles that Aldi/Lidl where selling was ideal for such a job AND painting doors. ;-)

Reply to
George