Painting iron guttering tips please

While the scaffolding is up I must paint the cast iron guttering black. Probably best not to disassemble it but to do it up there? Should I just roughen it with a wire brush on a drill? What sort of primer, undercoat etc are recommended? I want it to last a very long time. Any tips and suggestions please.. [g]
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:27:41 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"

Wire brush any loose stuff off. Go to a Dulux Decorator Centre (Trade)
Grab a can x 2 of black exterior Weathershield u/coat and top coat.
Two top coats is ideal ... wiull give a very good protective finish
Mike P
Hijack alert...
What would be good for ali guttering? Next year it all comes down to fix the soffits and fascias and while it's down I might as well paint it black to tart it up.
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

worth looking at japan black
NT
george [dicegeorge] wrote:

I dismantled our cast iron guttering , meant having to replace the bolts but it all came apart easily. Wire brushed it, checked it for cracks etc and then used hammerite. Guttering mastic in the joints when reassembling. If the scaffolding gives you easy access far easier to do a really good job on it at ground level.

Replace it with plastic.
No, not a frivolous reply but a serious one having seen a very near miss some years back when heavy snow sliding off a roof brought down a large piece of cast iron guttering which came down sharp end first and embedded a couple of feet into the ground. It could have been a lot more serious than it was.
All the guttering on that house was replaced with plastic and hasn't needed painting since.
--
Bill