Aluminium welding.

Went to the Classic Car show at the NEC yesterday and was most impressed with one of those 'snake oil' products the small stands sell. It was a method of welding aluminium.
Basically, without even cleaning you heat with an ordinary blowtorch and apply a tiny amount of the special 'solder' to the joint - really just enough to 'tin' it. Then continue to apply heat and scrape the joint with a screwdriver etc. The resultant joint was as strong as the aluminium. It looked to require little skill - the guy certainly wasn't concentrating hard while he was doing it. Cost 20 quid for a metre of the 'solder' - but as I said you only actually use a tiny amount per joint. It's about the same diameter as end feed solder.
I'll report again when I've tried it myself. But if it's as good as it looked - an answer to a prayer.
--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Durafix?

UIs it not the same stuff that someone posted a link to a few months ago ?
an american site
--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Much better to use Carr's aluminium flux and any solder you like Or even special expensive aluminium solder, but I didn't need to use it.
Costs a lot less than £20 too. Or use aulumnium solder paste, where its all mixed up for you anyway.
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Carrs_Solders___Fluxes___etc_268.html

But this wasn't a solder. As I said made a joint as strong as a weld.
--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

welded aluminium is about as strong as solder ;-)

I've a pack of Durafix; only had one application to date, and it wouldn't tin at all. (I forget the material). I'm reasonably experienced at soft and silver soldering.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:59:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Like this stuff?
<http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?itemA97
(with video)
--
bweebar

And this looks like the manufacturer's site:
<http://www.aluminumrepair.com
--
bweebar

bweebar wrote:

Crikey, that's amazing - is is real?

Seems to be a few similar, and similarly priced products, IIRC buying Taymar (of blowtorch fame) aluminium brazing rods years ago in Halfords.
http://www.technoweld-fusion.com/test/TW_En/index.html
http://durafix.co.uk
First one goes into some detail, its mainly zinc based.
Cheers Adam

I have some of those I used to repair Birmabright panels on the Land Rover. It worked well, but needs a very careful control of heating of the area since the margin between welding and melting isn't huge. A clean propane flame is essential and MAPP gas is too fierce.
On 14 Nov, 13:34, % snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Easiest way on Landies (rare though the need is) is to weld them with a gas torch. Birmabright alloy is easier here than most other aluminium alloys. As a filler rod you need to use some Birmabright, snipped off spare bodywork, rather than aluminium. It also needs a powerful flux - the old Series manual recommends "Hari Kiri No.2" (!) from an address in Birmingham.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:09:31 -0800, Andy Dingley wrote:

Surely with a Landy you just cut panels from any old scrap, rivet them on, and call it "added character" :-)
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules

Who repairs dents and holes in Landies?

Absolutely. A few extra holes lets the water that leaks in out.
--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

On Friday, November 13, 2009 at 7:59:28 PM UTC-5, Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

Dave, I was there and saw this stand. I was impressed and I have decided t o get some. I was visiting from the US. Do you recall the name or website of the guy selling the stuff? It really did appear to be truly melting in to the original aluminium rather than simply soldering or brazing.
-Tony
On 09/01/2015 13:22, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

No idea if this is the guy, but at next weekends Model Engineering exhibition there is a stand: Alutight aluminium welding.
It's probably the guy I saw at the 2013 exhibition at Sandown - I've never done any welding but do know that ali is difficult!
Peter

My memory tends to fade after 5 years. ;-)
--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

/My memory tends to fade after 5 years. ;-)/q
Sure it wasn't Anthony or Tony something...? :-)
Jim K