Painting copper pipe

After a good discussion (below), I have decided to construct a shower rail using copper pipe (its a strange shapped bathroom !!). I would like the result to have a silver finish - what should I use to paint the piping, and it there anythign special I need to do to it first (rough it up etc) ??

Thanks, Neil.

Reply to
NC

The best thing to do would be to bend it to shape and then get it chrome plated. Look up electro-platers in the yellow pages.

shaun

Reply to
shaun

You can buy chromed copper pipe as standard for this purpose, It's used as the main finishing water feed pipe in bathrooms anyway.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Yes it may cause the finish to flake off on severe curves etc.

However you can paint copper piping quite successfully with almost any household paint, You'll obviously need to key it first though.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Key it ?! You mean rough it up so that the paint holds ?? How should this be done ??

Reply to
NC

My beloved painted her copper pipe in Hammerite, result was excellent, hot and cold pipes were painted.

YorkieDave

Reply to
David Kent

excellent - thanks. Maybe I can get my Mrs to do it..... or maybe not !

Reply to
NC

Thanks for the advice. I will be trying to a metalic look when its finished, and be spraying it before I fix it in place.

Reply to
NC