Painting BBQ

Hi all
I have a metal BBQ which has started to show some signs of surface rust. Before it gets too bad I thought I would repaint it. Do I need to treat the rust first before painting it? If so, what with as I assume it will need to be heat resistant?
I terms of paint, I assume I will need to spray it? If so, is it better to use an aerosol can or I have a battery airless paint sprayer (only works with water based paint).
Any top tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lee.
On Sunday, 25 November 2018 12:04:30 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Before it gets too bad I thought I would repaint it. Do I need to treat the rust first before painting it? If so, what with as I assume it will need t o be heat resistant?

o use an aerosol can or I have a battery airless paint sprayer (only works with water based paint).

Rust must all be removed. Angle grinder & wire brush are fast, grinding dis c is thorough. Spray or brushed paint is fine. Spray is much more hassle/me ss but better finish. If it's a hot area use stove paint, the only stuff de signed for the high temps. If it's a totally cold area you can use anything waterproof, including household gloss. Paint designed for metal is tougher /harder. Hammerite is a waste of money.
NT
On 25/11/2018 12:04, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Stove black heat resistant polish? Used on wood buring stoves etc.
Wire brush the rust and then apply polish
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Well I'm hoping you are not going to paint bits that get very hot or come into contact with food.
In most cases you need to get it painnted using a stoving process. IE Stove enamel, named that way for a reason, or you could get it degreased, acid treated to remove rust then galvanised, or chuck it away and get another! Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
The BBQ is a Matt black painted one rather than enameled like the Webber ones. A bit like the usual barrel type ones you see in the DIY sheds
On 25/11/2018 12:04, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

treat rust with phosphoric, and treat stove with stove black - its weird stuff - like black shoe polish but all that happens when it gets hot is the wax evaporates and the black stays behind.
--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
On 25/11/2018 18:02, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

dunno
I’d say the worst is the wax catches fire...
--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
On Sunday, 25 November 2018 18:02:13 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

yes

why not? Unless you're going to glue your burgers onto the underside of the lid.
NT
On 25/11/2018 12:04, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Ordinary paint will just burn off, probably with poisonous fumes :(
Brake paint might work, but I've never tried.
Andy