Painting BBQ

Hi all

I have a metal BBQ which has started to show some signs of surface rust. Before it gets too bad I thought I would repaint it. Do I need to treat the rust first before painting it? If so, what with as I assume it will need to be heat resistant?

I terms of paint, I assume I will need to spray it? If so, is it better to use an aerosol can or I have a battery airless paint sprayer (only works with water based paint).

Any top tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Rust must all be removed. Angle grinder & wire brush are fast, grinding disc is thorough. Spray or brushed paint is fine. Spray is much more hassle/mess but better finish. If it's a hot area use stove paint, the only stuff designed for the high temps. If it's a totally cold area you can use anything waterproof, including household gloss. Paint designed for metal is tougher/harder. Hammerite is a waste of money.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Stove black heat resistant polish? Used on wood buring stoves etc.

Wire brush the rust and then apply polish

Reply to
alan_m

Well I'm hoping you are not going to paint bits that get very hot or come into contact with food.

In most cases you need to get it painnted using a stoving process. IE Stove enamel, named that way for a reason, or you could get it degreased, acid treated to remove rust then galvanised, or chuck it away and get another! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The BBQ is a Matt black painted one rather than enameled like the Webber ones. A bit like the usual barrel type ones you see in the DIY sheds

Reply to
leenowell

treat rust with phosphoric, and treat stove with stove black - its weird stuff - like black shoe polish but all that happens when it gets hot is the wax evaporates and the black stays behind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does stove black work on the thin metal sheet type BBQs as well as the cast iron stoves? Is it safe to use inside the lid the as well as outside ?

Reply to
leenowell

dunno

I?d say the worst is the wax catches fire...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes

why not? Unless you're going to glue your burgers onto the underside of the lid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ordinary paint will just burn off, probably with poisonous fumes :(

Brake paint might work, but I've never tried.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris