painting a house

I am in the process of buying a house (3 years old). The walls are already painted.

Rooms as follows.

Living room 20' x 16' Family room 20' x 16' Bed 1 15' x 11' Bed 2 11' x 10' Bed 3 11' x 10'

They all have 9' ceilings.

Approximately how long will it take to paint the walls in these 5 rooms? Should I try and get a larger 12" roller (or even larger) - although I believe the largrr they are, the more difficult they are to use due to the additional weight of the roller and the paint. I guess the walls will require 2 coats of paint.

Thanks

Reply to
Tiger

It takes me about half an hour to put one coat up in a medium sized room. This is mostly cutting into the corners and around door frames. The rollering large areas takes five to ten minutes and is very satisfying after you have spent time cutting in. Just use a standard roller.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I meant, just use a standard roller on a removable telescopic pole.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Tiger" wrote

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on your experience and skill level, stamina, the state of the walls (do you need to make good anywhere? is the existing paintwork filthy or will a quick wipe down be enough?) and the existing paint surface. The first time I painted my brand new flat, it took ages even though the walls were already painted by the builders (with a water-based emulsion) because they soaked up paint by the gallon. Subsequent coats took half the time.

And it's not the painting itself which takes the time anyway: it's all the preparation and finishing off the room afterwards.

Me? I reckon on a week to decorate a room to my satisfaction from scratch to the final arrangement of accessories. But I'm no expert, and can only do a limited number of hours at a stretch if I'm to avoid painful repercussions because of unfamiliar activity. My future son-in-law, who is highly experienced, reckons it will take him a week to decorate my whole flat - 5 rooms plus hall.

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara