Paint for plywood sheeting

I've panelled the interior of my large new shed with plywood sheet (6mm). What would be the best type of paint for it? Would emulsion be unsuitable? Thanks.

Reply to
Sloper

My large old shed with plywood interior has been very happy with its coating of emulsion paint for some 12 years now. As long as the large new shed is waterproof, then emulsion is OK

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Walker

Yes it would suitable. However, an acrylic would be even better than a vinyl emulsion, at slightly higher cost. Acrylic would normally be sold as "quick drying eggshell" or "quick drying satin".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah.. thanks. I'll check these out.

Just wondering...are these oil/spirit based paints? Acrylic is water based isn't it?.. or at least you can clean brushes in water. I was hoping to do it on the cheap, with emulsion being cheapest. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra, but I won't bother with oil-based gloss that I believe is usually used on wood.

Reply to
Sloper

Cheers Richard.

Reply to
Sloper

Yes, it is normally water based. Although technically it is possible to have solvent based acrylic formulations, these would not be described as "quick drying". Most solvent based paint will be alkyd, or alkyd/acrylic copolymer. They will also work, but will be more expensive and stink.

Personally for the job in hand, I'd choose

Dulux Trade Mouldshield Fungicidal Quick Drying Eggshell.

This is a water based acrylic formulation with additional fungicide that might be particularly useful in a shed environment.

Christian McArdle

I've ended up using acrylic primer, sanding, and then emulsion over the top.

On MDF anyway.

Seems to be as good as emulsioned plaster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher