Paging the tv repairists

I think I've asked about this before but there have been developments. No, I still haven't bought a plasma/lcd and won't until I really have to!

This here Philips 32PW6826 CRT telly is being a pain. A while ago the colours looked more yellow/orange than they should and flickered in a very similar way to how it would look if there was an open fire near it. If we turned it off at the main switch then on again it would do a degauss-like thing and work fine for hours with very minimal fire-like flickering.

Today it had a very dodgy picture when we first switched it on, then seemed to be going through all the colours it could until it found one it liked. The picture was tinted red, green, blue, orange, pale blue etc. for a minute or three... then it sorted itself out and is now showing a perfect picture with no colour flickering at all!

I wouldn't mind if it just went and died but sorting itself out again is just wierd.

Any ideas?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Sounds like bad connections in the colour channels. Might just be the socket that presses onto the CRT base. Could also be the other grid voltages.

I dont want to sound patronising, but CRT TVs are one appliance better left alone unless you know what youre doing. There are multiple potentially lethal risks in them, and you need to understand the basic principles of how the colour system works to set it up acceptably. /patronising

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Flickering or other sudden step like changes are indicative of a dodgy connection or three somewhere. How does it respond to "impact maintenance" (give it a whack)? You may have to experiment to find the best place to hit it.

If you do delve into the back TVs can bite and still bite after being unplugged and switched off for quite a while. Definitely a case of one hand behind your back at all times.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Patronise away - I have a healthy fear of high voltages and I'm extremely cautious around them. I'll whip the back off it sometime and just peer at it, occasionally giving safe-looking bunches of wires near connectors a wobble. If I unplug it last thing at night I think pretty much everything will be discharged. Not that I'd touch anything metal and/or cylindrical anyway!

Thanks,

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Percussive maintenance, I've found previously, makes the colours go wobbly, indicating that you and NT are correct about possible loose connections.

Ho yus, I'll send one of the Yorkies in first - we've got three so we probably wouldn't miss one.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Percussive maintenance, I've found previously, makes the colours go wobbly, indicating that you and NT are correct about possible loose connections.

Ho yus, I'll send one of the Yorkies in first - we've got three so we probably wouldn't miss one.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Percussive maintenance, I've found previously, makes the colours go wobbly, indicating that you and NT are correct about possible loose connections.

Ho yus, I'll send one of the Yorkies in first - we've got three so we probably wouldn't miss one.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

nothing like repeated percussive maintenance , eh ?

Reply to
geoff

Bloody motzarella!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I had a set years ago that did this. I had it apart and poked an peered, and fund eyelets making connections through the board, and one cracked..I resoldered it. It didn't fix the problem but the SOUND came up. AHa! I thought and resoldered every one on both sides. About 80 odd. Total solution.

Lasted till the house telephone wire took a direct lightning strike and blew most of the kit inside. I decided I had had my £60 over 9 years out of that one and scrapped it. The £75 replacement is still in use in the kitchen 12 years on..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Last time I relied on time to discharge it I left it sit a week, and drew a damn good spark from it.

The dangerous bits in TV arent the high voltage bits. Those will certainly bite but arent likely to kill, not enough current or capacity. The bad bits are the bits that look safe, such as the chassis, which is live in many sets, and of course the tube, which has no form of protection at the back, and is pretty nasty if it shatters.

NT

Reply to
meow2222