Oxford vs Imperial Models

It might be reasonable for new cars, as there have been suggested correlations between choice of colour and risky driver behaviour, but it could well be unfair on drivers of second-hand cars as having chosen the model they wanted, mileage they were happy with and price they would pay, they may not have had much choice about colour.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker
<snip>

If I had to make a(n experienced) guess I'd say that's currently black (or very dark blue / grey), as that seems to be the preferred colour car for questionable Audi, BMW and Merc drivers?

And is it that many van drivers DGAF, because they are in company vans possibly [1] and just a coincidence they seem to be mostly white (vans)? ;-)

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I rang one of the 'How am I driving' numbers I took from the back of a lorry but the lady on the phone couldn't seem to get I was giving the driver positive feedback. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Conversely, in fog dark cars are more visible.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not just the media, also the government.

I suspect the truth is somewhere between Oxford (half of us may have already had it) and Imperial (1% death rate).

But the testing needed to establish this hasn't been carried out. And it's now too late - they should have picked a sample of people and tested them weekly to see how many actually got it. A thousand would have been enough.

Once we have the antibody test we'll know. But that's likely too late to save the economy.

Sweden will be interesting. But again, too late.

I think the Govt cocked it up. Including the senior civil service, and I'm not too sure about the NHS management either. I only get to choose the first - and the most likely alternative is now being run by someone with no more knowledge of science than Boris...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That is a safe estimate;-)

I think the Oxford infection prediction seem high but they seem more cautious professionally than Imperial- who have a list of terrible errors which caused or could have caused havoc in their wake. They (Imperial) rely on media shock / scare tactics to force their models to be accepted.

There was a report of someone in Sussex having it and, as I recall, generating a cluster around him, several weeks before the first case. His problems weren?t attributed to the Chinese Virus but later analysis suggests it was. I think he was ill in early Feb, maybe Jan. Theory is he caught it while skiing - he?d taken part in some ?drinking games? which sounded like a Virus? Dream. He?d been ill but not seriously. Probably the Chinese Virus had even been considered as a possibility.

If there have been cases like that, the bug could have been here weeks, possibly months, longer than we think.

While I agree to some extent re testing, the practicality of testing every one probably hasn?t occurred to those demanding it.

Don?t forget Switzerland. They are following a similar route.

It is easy to blame the Government and the NHS but take, for example, the ventilators. Some have suggested we should have had enough ready. Suppose it wasn?t ventilators, what if it was dialysis machines, or something else a virus infection meant we needed. Do we keep 10000 extra of everything ready, maintained, etc, just in case.

Mistakes have been made but a careful analysis is needed to find out exactly where. A witch-hunt is pointless but is almost certainly what we will get.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Once it was clear a new SARS was on the lose it was time to start ramping up ventilator production.

December.

Not March.

South Korea seem to have handled it rather better.

Ansy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Quite so. The UK seems to have dragged their feet in taking preventative action. The US is no better.

Reply to
Pamela