oven diagnosis no display no heat but light working

The display is not showing on the oven, and it is not switching on the heat. The lamp does work. Is it likely that it is the controller board? Are there any tests to try? thanks
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 06:06:11 -0800 (PST), misterroy

Microwave? Conventional? Gas? Electric? Make? Model?
Come on, throw us a bone here.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Graham." wrote in message wrote:

A genuine case of the lights are on but nobody's home?

OK, Fido.
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 8:13:08 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Conventional oven, electric. Ikea 85752130

Have you turned it off (at the wall) and turned it on again?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 10:08:00 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:

Yes turned it off at the wall and left it a while, I have reseated the connections too.
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:28:00 -0800 (PST), misterroy

I can't find that stock number, but the problem is likely to be the clock module, which is in effect the controller PCB.
That's particularly true if the clock is an vacuum fluorescent type with 6 buttons like this. http://tinyurl.com/j2ahz4y They sometimes fail after getting progressively dimmer. The faulty component is the large rectangular capacitor (often blue) capacitor on the board.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 11:29:35 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

This is the board, or one like it,
https://res.cloudinary.com/dtk4ybaqk/image/private/t_wm_buyspares_420/prod/xhaugdnvbusoecrkiz55.jpg
The blue capacitor, swap it or swap the bigger electrolytics?
The type I was referring to has an X2 rated cap in series with the mains that acts as a "wattless dropper". Yours on the other hand has a conventional transformer PSU. Is the fuse on the board intact?
Check the transformer windings for continuity with a meter on the ohms range.
On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 12:35:28 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

I cant see a fuse on the board. There are no scorch marks. I will test the transformer tomorrow, I cant find my voltmeter, but I did find other things I had lost during the search. ta
On Sunday, 18 December 2016 15:40:28 UTC, misterroy wrote:

There are other ways to test it.
NT
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 07:40:26 -0800 (PST), misterroy

Fuses don't always look like fuses these days. Wickmann fuses for example. The transformer could well have a thermal fuse built into the primary.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Bit vague without knowing the make and model. I suppose it could be fused separately, and something has shorted out. Brian
--
----- -
On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 12:23:57 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

Luckily Christmas Dinner was not at our house. I found a controller on ebay for £20, new old stock. It came today and the oven is whirring away. I found my multimeter yesterday, and was about to carry out the tests on th e old unit before I posted this. The meter has gone again. I was surprised that the controller costs around £100 new. Thanks for all your help, the collective wisdom here is great. Happy New Year
On 30/12/2016 17:34, misterroy wrote:

It's gone to visit its family? It's the time of year for that. It'll come back with a dreadful hangover.

And you.