Ouside Tap problem

I have two ordinary outside taps - fitted by a plumber as part of a kitchen makeover last year - one cold, one hot.

The cold one I have is turned on all of the time - connected to an irrigation system on a timer.

I have noticed that when both the taps are turned on, then there is a steady drip of water which comes out of the spindle to which the turnable tap control bar is fitted. This would usually probably never be noticed - but because one of them is turned on all of the time - the leakage is obvious.

The question: is there likely to be a washer in side the tap mechanism itself which I could replace.

Or - should I just buy two new good quality taps (recommendations?) from Wickes or similar and replace them?

Reply to
diyer

I'm a little unsure of what you are describing but believe you have a leak from the gland seal. Many taps have a gland seal that is adjustable by tightening a nut shaped part around the shaft, sometimes hidden under a removable shield.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Agree. It's your glands mate!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

And be extremely thankful for that 'd'.

Reply to
Richard

The technical term is a "stuffing box " ;-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

I have never liked outside taps. Most people I know have had the tap inside and the pipe then going outside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:ocoafh$68k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Really?? Never come across that even though it has merit.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

except if you want water ouside when you'd rather keep the window shut.

Reply to
charles

I thought that was where you put your glans? lol

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As others have said, it's leaking from the gland around the shaft. It will be worse when the tap's turned on but the downstream timer is off - 'cos the gland is then subjected to full mains pressure.

The gland consists of a rubber or plastic ring which is compressed by a concentric externally threaded 'nut'. Try tightening this nut to see if that stops the leak. If that doesn't work, undo the nut and slide it up the shaft. Then wind a bit of hemp or, at a push, string around the shaft and push it down into the space where the nut goes. Then push the nut back down and tighten it.

See

Roger Mills

I do. Tap is in the garage, doesn't freeze up. If I want to hose the garden, I open the side door to the garage.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why do you have a hot tap outside?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So he can use it to melt the frost on car windscreens etc when they are parked overnight outside.

Reply to
<frde

That's excellent - thanks to you and others.

Reply to
diyer

Wash the car. Disinfect green house with hot water, washing up liquid, and disinfectant. Wash plant pots in large plastic tub. Fill the paddling pool for the kids Hose down the car when covered in ice. Hose down the drive when it is covered in snow.

Reply to
diyer

Those sound useful, except the paddling pool. Do they use it in winter or something?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

One of the things my missus finds most useful is the large old butler sink I got for just asking and mounted it on a wall outside and plumbed with hot and cold. Pots,garden tools, wellies and a host of other things can be cleaned easily or left in soak. The waste goes through a filter that was originally designed to fit rainwater down pipes and divert the filtered water into a water butt. It stops a lot of undesirable bits going down the drain and clogging it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg