OTish Volume Icon

How about if they didn't ask the question here in the first place? Anyway I don't say "should be using Linux".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ask in that group I posted. Or, do you like to struggle?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No but you implied it as OsX doesn't come with anything more useful than what windows does. Maybe you meant android?

Reply to
dennis

Certainly it does. When developing my email client, I found that OS X came with PHP and apache already installed as standard. For both Windows and Linux (Mint, at any rate), I had to download those separately.

What is that?

Reply to
Tim Streater

and pro

Reply to
John Rumm

All it would have done (if it was the problem) is to "ungrey" the control in the customisation dialogue. You would still need to turn it back on again.

Reply to
John Rumm

and cheap jigsaws ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Isn't there a Restore function?

Reply to
Capitol

Sorry, that's what I meant - it hasn't ungreyed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I searched CP and found Notification Area Items, tried every option but still no luck :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

All we need now is someone to get offended by the angle-grinder retort.

If I have ever used the "Linux" reply it won't be because I seriously think that it's the solution for the average PC user, it's said with irony, pointing to the fact that there isn't any mainstream competition to Microsoft and Apple in the desktop market, and that can't be a good thing.

Reply to
Graham.

Hasn't it at least gone a different shade of grey? ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

From memory....

in the past sometimes a particular program or media player has taken over the volume function - basically the volume is controlled by the slider in the program and the Windows volume control was greyed out or the icon disappeared entirely. This would have been in XP and a restart was necessary to restore the icon.

If the offending program or player is included in the startup sequence then this will probably need to be removed first as otherwise it will take over the sound function on loading.

michael adams

.
Reply to
michael adams

In message , Tim Streater writes

Another even more useless operating system with silly version names and is so stupid it clogs up it's own memory.

Reply to
bert

I have W7 and I haven't lost my icon - yet.

Reply to
bert

ok so that tells you its not a simple case of the control itself being disabled for some reason, but points at a more fundamental problem with the sound subsystem - even if it appears to be working correctly.

I would be tempted to reinstall the sound drivers. (you could use system restore to go back to before the windows update - but that will potentially undo things that don't need undoing as well).

If you know the make and model of the motherboard, you can usually get the most recent drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

(you can find the motherboard details by looking at the board itself, or sometimes from the "System Information" program which you will find in the Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools group on the start button).

Reply to
John Rumm