OTish Volume Icon

Please include the author information, else we don't know who you're being rude too.

The word is "proselyte".

Reply to
Huge

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahaahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

*How* old is Windows? And they *still* can't get trivial shit like this working reliably?
Reply to
Huge

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, cos no one ever has random obscure problems with with other operating systems.

Reply to
Chris French

Mine (Win7) has just done the usual fortnightly update, and the 'volume icon'- a loudspeaker - is still there and still works.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you for that.

If my error was the use of "proselyter" as a noun you may wish also to inform the OED of their mistake in listing:

"proselyter n. a person who makes, or seeks to make, proselytes."

together with their several quotations spanning 1689 to 1984.

If my error was one of style - eg in failing to use the verb "proselyte" transitively or in using "Linux" as a noun adjunct to proselyter, then I apologise for any offence caused.

Reply to
Robin

Accepted.

Reply to
Huge

This lot will know. alt.windows7.general It's a very posh group and will not tolerate pikeys.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I;m not asserting it's ok for it to happen, I'm just saying that all OS's can be subject to obscure happenings.

Reply to
Chris French

Repeating a fallacy does not make it any less fallacious.

Reply to
Huge

You are very welcome. I like to keep alive the old tradition of the English apologising when they have done nothing wrong.

Reply to
Robin

It's the questions and problems that come up that bemuse me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Fair point. And I certainly did not mean to imply you were one of the proselyters who give me the urge to hide behind the sofa and pretend no one is at home :)

Reply to
Robin

It comes with more than Linux does, a Linux kernel is useless without the other none Linux stuff that is installed.

Windows can also run most of the free stuff that people *have* to install to use Linux and that's also free on windows.

The people that have trouble with windows would have just as much trouble with Linux and they wouldn't have a next door neighbour that knew how to help.

Reply to
dennis

Its on my win8.1, not that I use it, its only a substitute for regedit32.

Reply to
dennis

Other than failing to attribute their Usenet postings. Apart from your original fallacy, that is.

Reply to
Huge

Not only the "tu quoque" fallacy but "jumping to conclusions" *and* "straw man" as well.

Are you working your way through a list?

Reply to
Huge

I don't have said triangle, but if I right click the taskbar, the properties I can access customise. Alas Show icon and notification does nothing :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Very true. What is strange is when anyone asks a question here about Windows, you always get a chorus of 'should be using Linux.

Doesn't help - and doesn't really happen with anything else.

Apart from religion and politics, of course. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pity.

Have you had a look to see if Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items

-> Notification Area Items exists? You'll need the detailed Category view of Control Panel rather than the Icon view to find it more easily. Or just search from within Control Panel.