OTish: packaging & couriering when selling mattress

Hi All I have a Kingsize matress that I wish to sell - very high quality, less than a year old, little use, yours for a song, etc. I realise that despite all of the above I am likely to make a big loss on the sale. Anyway:

- any thoughts on the best place to advertise this? Local classifieds and similar don't seem to good for this

- I will probably get more for it if am able to arrange delivery. Any suggestions as to how it would need to be wrapped for collection and delivery, and what type of courier to use for this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards jon N

Reply to
jkn

Last time I bought a mattress, it was online, so delivered.

It turned up in a big heavy-gauge plastic bag, with cardboard corner protectors inside a tighter-fitting lighter-gauge inner plastic bag. The courier did not seem overly surprised at this.

I do not want to know how much it would cost Joe Public to arrange couriering of one-off...

Reply to
Adrian

The big stuff I've had has come via TNT. It won't be cheap though and the recipient will need to offload from the tail lift of the lorry.

Man-and-van type services will probably be reasonable within about 20 miles or so.

Your local bed/mattress shop may be able to let you have left-over packaging.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

House clearance outfit?

Who's going to want a 2nd hand mattress for more than a few quid /not worth your time & effort?

Rgds

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

EBay with collection only specified would be your best bet. Someone will probably be happy to have it sticking out the back of a Transit for a couple of miles.

Reply to
stuart noble

Depending on where you live, Ebay has so many registered users that even for stuff that's collection-only you stand a good chance of being able to sell it that way - imagine how many people live within a 20 mile radius of where you are.

This is far easier than packing the thing and arranging delivery.

Reply to
Murmansk

That or Gumtree.

Load-sharing services like Anyvan, Shiply or uShip might do for delivery, but it depends on whichever courier has space. So you can't necessarily sell with a fixed courier price, depends on destination postcode and time.

Other couriers will take large deliveries:

Maybe use Parcelforce as the upper limit and ask Shiply etc if they will quote a lower price when you have the buyer's postcode?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

If your aren't in a hurry, there are man and van services that aggregate a number of collection and deliveries and plan a several day route around them. Have a loook on eBay, we've used such services to get furniture delivered from the deep south, beyond Birmingham.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hum, probably less than 10,000. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

jkn scribbled

You can search Ebay for sold used mattresses to see what they fetched.

&LH_Complete=1

You could narrow the search to your area if that helps.

Reply to
Jonno

Best bet is to just set fire to it in the back garden.

Reply to
ARW

ARW scribbled

Best of luck if it's a well made fireproof mattress.

Reply to
Jonno

Best of luck explaining the 30 foot high flames and plume of black smoke visible for miles around to the fire brigade if it's an old rubber foam mattress. DAMHIK, I just know. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good