OTish Murder

In message , Mentalguy2k8 writes

Although you might say what you were thinking there is no proof that you actually were thinking what you said you were thinking. My guess is that the DPP would decide it was not in the public interest to mount a prosecution.

Reply to
bert

Back in eh 60s some apprentices at an aircraft factory designed an a antitheft system for the wages van. Unless a hidden switch was flicked within 3 minutes of starting up the engine would cut out and the steering would go hard right. Needless to say they were told to take it off.

Reply to
bert

In message , The Other Mike writes

But we all know at least one who would.....

Reply to
bert

Fraud Exploder did a similar thing but using the cruise control (allegedly) Came close to killing one or two.

Reply to
bert

An event that only seemed to happen to people wanting a big compo handout. I drove one for fourteen years, over 300,000 miles. Number of cruise control malfunctions (0).

Most likely cause, idiots who don't understand the "resume" button.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Unopened bypass for a little practice?

Is that a euphemism?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Quite possibly on the payout front!

I did at one time have a Golf. If filled with super unleaded (whatever it was called) it seemed OK much of the time. But every so often the revs would move towards around 3000 rpm - speeding up or slowing down as required and that was very unsettling. I only ever used super unleaded when I couldn't get ordinary unleaded. Once I realised what was happening I avoided the super and all was well.

I have always put that experience down to the engine management being unable to cope and switching to some "I can't handle this so I'll revert to some fallback settings".

Reply to
polygonum

In the old days of black and white movies that was how it was done.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Not undetected as such, but "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl has to be my favourite for "perfect" crimes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

All you have to do is leave the special bleed nut spanner on the bleed nut when you go out for a test drive.

After a while the weight of the spanner undoes the nut enough for brake fluid to squirt out of the bleed nipple.

After a while you run out of brake fluid........

But then again, in those days, speeds were slower and there wasn't much on the roads late at night.

Fortunately.

Cheers

Dave R

Oh, and I think they were automatic bleed nipples; the spring loaded ones to aid bleeding the brakes without an assistant.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I'm sure I read somewhere that pressing and holding the start/stop button causes a hard-wired shut-off (rather like a PC!)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

It can be done. Well known and established fact.

harryagain

Obvious urban myth. How would the steering in a 1960's car be made to go hard right? No-one that had the slightest knowledge of car mechanics would be taken in by that one. Be difficult even with todays cars with electric power steering.

But then there's folks here think dealing with nuclear waste is easy.

Reply to
harryagain

Have you ever driven one? Ah. Another of your strange theories coming from a position of zero experience/knowledge.

Reply to
harryagain

Well that's the three thickest here. Speaking from positions of zero knowledge or experience. Oh but then they always do that.

Go and get a horse. Much more exciting. You can never guarantee exactly what it will do next.

Reply to
harryagain

The days of a steel wire/boden cable going from the accelarator pedal to the throttle device are long gone. It's a copper wire now and you are in the hands of your computer. I

Reply to
harryagain

Heh. Excellent urban myth The only thing is, the Citroen sinks/sank to it's lowest level anyway when the engine is shut off. Also the brakes and suspension ran off the same system.

Interestingly, you had no brakes at all if the engine was not running. Handbrake wasn't particularly efficient either.

Reply to
harryagain

Only the wealthy had cars back then and most people didn't know any better. And Roy Rogers could unerringly shoot someone down at fifty yards with his six shooter.

Reply to
harryagain

Not on my C5.

not true either

Reply to
charles

If it had rack and pinion steering, add an hydraulic cylinder from the landing gear of one of the aircraft. For any sort of steering, fit a large motor to the steering column, using a worm drive to prevent anyone from being able to resist it.

Any engineer worth his salt could do it easily, given an entire aircraft factory to play with.

The large motor would still work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar