OTish Murder

Both my car and my wife's have a cable and direct mechanical control of the butterfly. OK, they aren't new, but those days are not "long gone". Though I must admit I've driven a few cars recently with noticeable throttle lag that could easily be a slow reacting butterfly motor.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You can make a Prius do something similar, allegedly.

'Can' does not mean 'should'.

Reply to
Onetap

And I suppose the victim won't notice their car is missing for weeks whilst all this is being done?

Reply to
harryagain

Gs had the fullworks. Great car only it rusted.

harryagain

I had four, one after the other, and they all suffered terminal rust in the same places. The main place was the cross member behind the bumper, and at the time, spares weren't available. This was a real shame, as they were only bolted on, and came out so that you could change the engine and clutch, which only took a few minutes to take out, and the same to put back.

Great cars, apart from that. I used to regularly cart about half a ton of coal at a time home in them, and they didn't struggle at all. They also stuck to the road like s*1t to an army blanket.

Reply to
John Williamson

It is possible to buy a new car without multiplexed electronics and without drive-by-wire throttle. Just.

Reply to
Adrian

It was the wages van for an aircraft factory. It wouldn't have needed to go missing for weeks, nor did they have any need to make what happened look like an accident. I'm not saying they did it in either of the ways I suggest, although I think the hydraulic cylinder is a good candidate. I was simply giving a couple of straightforward answers to your question of how to make the steering on a 1960s car go hard right. It is not something that I would consider beyond a group of engineering apprentices of the period with access to all the equipment in an aircraft factory.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Strikes me as implausible because as an anti-theft system it's so obviously dangerous to third parties. A wages van slewing across the road into incoming traffic does not seem a smart way to deter or catch thieves.

I would imagine that anyone fitting such a system could find themselves liable for damages and injuries caused.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It strikes me as exactly the sort of thing a group of engineering apprentices would have come up with - impractical, dangerous and needlessly complex.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The cars being talked about were less than ten years old.

I've not had handbrake problems on any of the BX's that I owned and they were back in the 80s.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Works van".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Several. Hence why I posted what I did. They were all universally s**te, even the one costing the price of a house in the North.

Reply to
The Other Mike

They ran off the same hydraulic pump, though I thought the baking system had a separate accumulator.

Some had rear brakes which had a variable pressure limit according to the suspension are position, ie weight proportionate.

Reply to
Fredxx

Umm, no. Quite the opposite. The original quote was "about ten years ago", no mention of the age of vehicle. But the thread's moved on anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Only on CXs and SMs, where it was needed because of the very high demands of the self-centring steering.

All hydraulically suspended Citroens take the rear brake pressure from the rear suspension circuit, so - yep - load-proportioning.

Reply to
Adrian

On the BX's and GSA's that I had, the accumulator was shared between the suspension and the brakes, as was the pump.

In the event of failure of the pressure system, the brakes reverted to a standard non-servo system operated by the pedal. As you can imagine, this was just enough to bring you to a gradual halt, especially as only the front brakes worked in this scenario.

GSA's and BX's had this. It was an excellent system, as no matter nhow much weight you put into the back of the car, the pedal pressure required to stop or slow down hardly changed.

If a Citroen sank to the ground overnight, it needed either new spheres or a replacement accumulator. If the pressure regulator clicked as well, it was the accumulator. Either way, it takes a maximum of half an hour per sphere, from putting the jack under the car to driving away. If they aren't too far gone, the spheres can be recharged with gas for another few months of smoothness, rinse and repeat as required.

Reply to
John Williamson

No, they didn't...

The brake valve merely allows pump-generated pressure through to the brake circuit. It doesn't generate pressure at all.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, I'll tell Citroen to re-write the owner's manual, then.

Reply to
John Williamson

I expect you could get something from a third world country.

harryagain

I had the estate. Sharp in the front blunt at the back and brown. Looked exactly like a turd.

Weird to drive at first.. After six weeks you realised Citroen was right and everyone else was wrong.

Ergonomically near perfect too, shame about the rust.

Reply to
harryagain