OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are actually rather rare.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although at the moment Richer Sounds have some discounted 24" ones.

I suspect that if the OP does exactly what he is asked (like I did and got a 27") that the next year he will be buying a 32" anyway to compensate for failing eyesight. I cannot recommend any of the 2x TV magnifying glasses that are available. Either too flimsy and easily out of adjustment, or so heavy that an elderly person cannot handle them.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes - as are 26" it seems, which was the size I have been thinking of.

It may be, as people are suggesting, that bigger than this would be 'best'; but there is a MAF just as there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to consider here...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Find one with a narrow bezel around the edges so that the LCD screen occupies the entire space and fib about the actual size.

27" are more common but you will probably regret buying one.
Reply to
Martin Brown

IME with my M-I-L, the screen size is irrelevant. The problem is that she couldn't work the remote. Even when we bought her a very simple "universal" remote which only had 5 buttons, she still struggled. She would press "Channel Down" too many times, find herself on channel 145 and panic. If possible, I'd lock out all but the main half-dozen channels.

Reply to
Huge

You can set up a favourites menu that only contains the channels they watch. Don't forget to include Dave and Yesterday though.

The big problem I have is that in Manchester since digital D-day the aerial pointed at Winterhill can see the powerful Welsh transmitter in a sidelobe and the set is dumb enough to put first found into the default channels and the local English stations at 801 & seq.

I had to disable automatic offer a retune when new stations are found to avoid trips over to zap the mad Welsh channels that would otherwise sit on top of Countdown on Ch4. Apparently a lot of Panasonics do this - the newer ones offer geographic filter or strongest signal. Either of these options will sort the mess out but on older sets you have to unplug the aerial until the Welsh channels have gone past!

Reply to
Martin Brown

In my case it was to replace a 21" CRT where space (height wise) was tight - and didn't want a (subjectively) smaller picture. I was quite surprised (at the time) to find just how rare a 24" or so widescreen was. Ended up with a v.expensive Humax which had a design fault resulting in it being scrapped at an early age. I now have a smart HD LG in that location which is pretty good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just show her a picture on one of the channels using top and bottom black banding and ask her if she really wants to watch that on 22"!

Reply to
Capitol

Don't have much of an issue with our Panasonic remotes (TV and DVD). A slight oddity with switch on - you do have to hold the button down for maybe a couple of seconds.

I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote - the real one usually being nearer partner. That does not need line of sight!

Reply to
polygonum

Well re this conversation,,

ive been there and dunnit allready,, For my ninty year old mom,, who can see quite well,,

cept someone has been having it away with her marbles..

I got her a bigger high def screen..

Yup,, I dun that already ..

She lived in a chair at that time a reclining chair,,

Now we have a newer reclonng chair elictric,

and she is moved from there into her bed at night and morning,,

Andso she is inna long narrow room with a chair at one end and her a bed at the other,,the tv needs to be turned//

I have an illiyama swivel top, sitting on top off a humax box a brilliant combination with decent sound quality.. Upstairs in my bedroom ..

I got a bigger scren fo my mom but sold it off cheap to a young couple who could connect it to a sky box,,

Ended up with a small Phillips old format tv which was prefect for her needs ..

Lousy sound same as the expensive jvc in the kitchen

high frequenceys scream at you

thats wher the illyamma wins out..

reasonable sound quality

///

Dont you know,,,

Do you wonder is your old mom safe sat in front of the big ol tv

let me see

Someone fill in the spaces here do i have to?

why do you want to sit your old mom in front of a big screen!

So she can see it ,, yea i got that..

I might think that way too if my mother had poor vision ,, but she does not ..

She is oldm she has a weak and failing mind,,

I have learned that one has to be mindful about the programming she watches..

and more recently with linda bellingham.. This came home to me to me during the nelson Mandela extravaganza..

Take care what you let your oldies view,,

A natter with some decent carers does her lot more good..

ITV three is safe ground for my ol mom,,

Think what you do

Mike..

Reply to
Radicalised NHS Victim.

you mean that all those ads on the "other" channels that are obviously targeted at the "older" audience, are wasting their time?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I'm at the older end of the spectrum, and definitely watch more of the 'other' channels than the main 5. Probably because I'm not much interested in game shows, 'reality' stuff or sport.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also consider that the TV may only be being used as a monitor. A Sky/Freesat/Freeview/Cable/PVR box may be being used as the main method of selecting channels.

Reply to
alan_m