OT: Would you buy a flat above a tube line?

A friend has just got the searches back on a newly converted basement flat he's buying and has found that the Eurostar extension due to open

2007 runs 35 metres below the front door.

Should he be worried about noise or structural damage (the building was a hospital built in 1845)?

Reply to
James

I have a friend who lives in a first floor flat above the Northern Line near Tooting Broadway and you can certainly hear the trains. Dunno how deep they are there, though. But at least they don't run all night - might the Eurostar?

I'd have thought the risk of structural damage slight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mmm. 35 meters eh? I wouldn't.

Once stayed in a basement on Baywstaer..bloody place trembled every 5 minutes. I thought "Either thats bloody good dope we are smoking, or theres a tube line underneath".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Thameslink line runs directly under my flat, in a house built circa

1830. A lot less than 35m below, and the circle line runs in a cutting beside it, it is still standing.

You will probably notice some rumble, especially in the early hours when every thing else is still and quiet.

Depends what you are used to I suppose, I grew up with a railway line just beyond the bottom of the garden.

Structurally I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
djc

Didn't you have any real friends? :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from djc contains these words:

It's part of living in a city, innit.

Reply to
Guy King

;-)

Another pal deliberately bought a house with the main Portsmouth line at the bottom of the garden. He then built a gazebo facing it, and sits out there watching the trains. I have other strange friends.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone remember Passport to Pimlico?

Reply to
dom

Is his name Ian Allan by any chance?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm sure he will hear it, as do many Londoners living on tube lines. I used to live on the 5th floor over one of the deepest part of the Picadilly line, and you heard a rumble like distant thunder every time one went past, but it wasn't distracting. Actually, it was very effective when watching films such as Earthquake with visitors who didn't know about the tube line...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

;-) No. More likely to write the sequel to 'Train Spotting'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Great film.

Thinks: I wonder if No2 son has the video ... they don't go in for conversation away from the dining table but feel the need to entertain us when we visit, twice a year (they're in the S**th).

So far we've had Chocolat!, Calamity Jane, Whatsit and the Holy Grail (twice), Knights Tale (twice), The Meaning of Liff (brilliant!), and the full series of Little Britain (twice). I'd like a classic.

Thanks for the inspiration,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The fact that your talking about it now might mean a buyer in the future has those same doubts. The track will be continuously welded rail instead of that crap they use for the tube lines though, and they did say before they started tunneling that it would be silent, so it *should* be okay.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Is it the old Friern Hospital by any chance?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

But well above a tube line you don't hear the clackety clack of wheels crossing joints. Just a very low frequency rumble. Might just be the air being pushed along the tunnel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could be...

"Broad-bosomed, bold, becalmed, benign.... etc."

Although when one goes on this electrically operated public toilet in the summer, it's difficult to believe there's any air flow at all.

I suspect there is some movement effect though.

I recently stayed in a hotel in Paris that was very close to a Metro line. These are sub-surface and the train wheels seem to have some kind of tyres - there seems to be no clackety clack from the track. At any rate, one could hear the rumbling until the trains stopped at midnight.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I've got it on DVD!

Reply to
Guy King

Oh. Hm.

I didn't know you were old enough :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Half-right. The old German Hospital.

Reply to
James

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I'll have you know I'mm 44 and proud of it. My four year old asked me how old I am yesterday. She first guessed I was a teeneager.

Anyway, it's possible Passport to Pimlico might fall into the DVD burner. Would you look after my backup copy for me?

Reply to
Guy King