OT: worldwide worm

Hah! You expect me to believe that?

Reply to
Richard

I'm not running Windows.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Actually my ISP does do it, although in my case there's no need.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There are multiple suppliers and OSes in use.

No where near a majority of important systems run on windows of any variety. Few banks run their systems on windows for instance. The reason for this is that they are large database systems and M$ isn't into large database systems at this time. I doubt if much NHS data has been lost as it isn't kept on windows systems that are vulnerable to that bug, however access to that data has been restricted because the terminals have been attacked. Its really just a case of restoring the systems and putting the damn patches on ATM. However people need to learn that you have to patch stuff.

Reply to
dennis

A variant of XP called Embedded Windows is used in all manner of medical kit, and if that includes MRI scanners, then you don't simply 'upgrade to W10'. That's a problem for GE or Siemens, or whoever took over Philips Medical Systems (who used to make CT scanners in Crawley).

NuLieBour pissed away about £10 Billion on the failed NHS computer system. So much for 'saving money'.

Reply to
Andrew

Mac used to have some killer apps. Thing like Avid for film etc editing. Now PC. Pretty sure there are plenty other examples.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Didn't you claim in an earlier post that you have looked at the windows code base and not at M$.

It would be interesting to see what the rest of the NSA exploits attack besides windows.

Its a windows worm what else do you think it should run on?

Its not M$ that has kept the vulnerable machines on the net. M$ has done everything it can to get rid of them.

Yes I believe you think you know everything.

Reply to
dennis

M$ are trying to change that, Visual studio can target linux, windows and android.

Reply to
dennis

But that might be the embedded variant, which might have been based on XP. You cannot just 'upgrade' without potentially junking the medical kit that is being controlled, or rendering it unsafe for patient use.

Even patching can only be done if a whole slew of medical device beurocracy has been consulted and approved. This is why is takes a lot longer than a couple of months to apply patches (even if patching is actually possible).

Reply to
Andrew

The LOndon Hospital never had this problem with their bespoke system running on a UNIVAX 418-III with CTL-MOD1's in the labs.

All written in assembler, even their own inhouse database management system complete with logical transactions and all the usual pre and post image journalling. Done in the 1960's and 70's when most programmers didn't even know what a logical transation was.

Then Tony Blairs massive total top-down reorganisation of the NHS in 2001 and the £13 Billion 'investment' in IT meant it just got scrapped.

Reply to
Andrew

Nope. Your GP isn't qualified to look at Xrays or Scans. They are reviewed electronically by a consultant radiologist who sends a report via a specially formatted email response to the consultant who requested the scan, who then informs your GP which should go via NHS_Net.

If you are 65 then your scan may have just been an ultrasound check for an aortic aneurysm. Something which can easily be subcontracted to a private company.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
mechanic

Good answer. So everyone running Windows should immediately disconnect from the internet. You just know it makes sense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My scan wasn't requested by a consultant. By my GP. But could well be it is viewed by an expert on reading such things who then sends a report to my GP.

It was for lower back problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and doesn't mention hoary old XP...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesn't tell you how to remove it [SMBv1] from XP. Which, it seems, is really what is needed.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

AIUI, what SMBv1 needs is to be patched so it no longer has the buffer-overflow vulnerability.

Interestingly, such vulnerabilities were used by the Internet Worm that got loose in November 1988.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A lot of people who upgraded from XP years ago will find that info re-assuring though. Not many home users still on XP - most of the issues for those large organisations which seem to be stuck with XP is if there is a connection to some hardware that is fragile or poorly understood or otherwise very expensive to upgrade. No such excuses for home users. Commercial users are probably using the Enterprise Edition that apparently has extended support.

Reply to
mechanic

In message , Tim Streater writes

Which is presumably what the Microsoft patch for XP does. Unless it patches in SMBv2 or 3. I did look for a description, but couldn't find anything.

I've spent all day today patching and updating laptops for people, plus calls asking for advice on upgrading. I'm trying to decide whether an

84yo lady would be better with W7 or 10. She wants a desktop because she has the desk for it to sit under.
Reply to
Bill

I don't think you can. You have to turn off file sharing altogether I think.

There is an XP patch now that microsoft has issued, after the horse has bolted...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher