OT Windows Vista Warning

Be nice if it always worked, or was willing to explain exactly why it was 'unable to stop XXX'. With a bit more knowledge, a rogue process can be found and killed in the Task Manager, but with no less effort than if it were an old-fashioned command-line OS... usually easier to reboot, with a higher probability of success.

Windows gets a lot more Unix-like with each version, and XP is certainly an improvement on 3.1, but it doesn't really seem to show the results of all those billions spent on it, or to justify its price tag.

Especially Vista, and especially outside the US.

Reply to
Joe

It would be good if it worked....

Reply to
Andy Hall

People have commented that visually Vista is modelled after Mac OS. Certainly there are some stolen features.

However, a house built on sand is only as good as the foundations.

A house of cards built on sand.... well....

Reply to
Andy Hall

s/k/l/ - can't you even cope with a single trivial typo?

Had much experience with XP SP2 under the default settings? It's actually not open at all to the public.

The only reason I've got the vast amount of memory I have (actually not that vast any more, but that's inflation for you) on this box is various non-MS apps, some written in java (and I'm using Sun's JRE). They really kill it.

FSVO better. The range supported is rather lower.

And your 'usable' appears to be equivalent to 'perfect'.

Blah blah blah. IME and those of the people I know, none of that is true

It's always amusing being called a MS zealot - those who know me better don't make that mistake.

FSVO "low" and "limited" which encompass everything I and others need to do on the the thing.

Can't be arsed. Your claim, you back it up.

I've got equivalently configured linux and windows boxes hanging around. They perform very similarly. In some ways it's a pity - if the differences were as apparent as you claim, I'd be able to lose the windows boxes easily. But since they actually perform pretty well, I can't justify getting rid of them.

Re DoS attacks - how does that work given that by default, nothing is exposed to the outside world? DoS requires at least something to be open to succeed - and we're talking about desktops here, not servers.

Once again, there you go with your bogus definitions. It's entirely viable - what does turning your machine on at the beginning of the working day prevent you from doing?

Does data transfer at an acceptable rate? Is the connection reliable? Is the connection secure? That's all that's required, and it succeeds in all three of those (of course the last one is normally down to configuration of non-windows devices).

Do you have anything other than drivel-style ripostes?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Nope. I'm just asking it to do what it is claimed it will do. I wouldn't describe having something which can be stopped and started reasonably quickly and which doesn't degrade in a short period as being turbo requirements.

Well I could. Fortunately, PC World is near the corporation tip so this sould be a better drop off point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hey - so is my nearest PC World!

I wonder if that's a corporate criterion for store location.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Let's hear some locations. The one in Canterbury is only a few hundred metres from the council tip - probably only about two hundred.

This could be interesting.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ever heard of garbage in - garbage out?

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's a pattern emerging here....

Reply to
Andy Hall

About the same distance at Sunderland.

B&Q are nearer the tip though :-) (Next door in fact).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Stirling's is near a small sewage farm.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think Andy has come up against a (for him) fundamental problem with the PC. When it goes wrong, no one can say for sure who's at fault. Andy likes to combat life's little uncertainties by always having someone accountable he can point the finger at but, with the infinitely customisable box of tricks known as the PC, nothing is ever anyone's fault, and it's never going to be like turning the tv on. That's what you buy into.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I was at a software authors conference recently and one of the speakers, who I would assign guru status to, said "three years ago I knew my computer was clean. Now I just hope it is". I have just bought a new book "The Old New Thing", insights into the development of Windows, and from a quick dip into it, the think that registered was the amount of hacking MS have to do to Windows to keep old badly written applications working. As the author says, they you break the app MS gets the blame. But with all the kludges he describes it's amazing it works at all.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

System Restore might be a useful tool if it wasn't so quirky. It's a shame you can't set a repair point without windows helpfully overwriting it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The Canterbury one backs onto a sewage farm, as well as having the council tip just up the road!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nope. Reasons unconnected with the OS, or indeed any of the software running on the machine.

I have pictured in my head a few "average" users. All happily using Windows (one happier than when he was running linux...). To them, it appears reliable and secure. Being paranoid, I've checked the latter - it is indeed the case.

Never heard of that happen. Never happened to me.

Developers are also predisposed towards ranting at the shortcomings of environments - I may be good at making machines do what I want, but it doesn't stop me shouting at them when they get in the way.

Disagree. Never had a problem caused by that sort of thing. It's also the sort of thing a router firewall wouldn't help me with, and I've not heard them being described as insecure.

Strange how you'll use an MS marketing definition in preference to anything more widely accepted.

I don't just talk to developers you know - in fact I spent very little of my time doing so.

And how many of them are to do with the graphics environment implementation? The ones I saw which presented the highest threat were application-side ones.

It'll be a bit tricky for a computer to switch wired networks uninvited...

In the context of your claim "Windows is not an OS", yes. If you wish to extend the scope of discussion beyond that, feel free to drop your bogus claim and we can move on.

(looks).

Yup, I can't see the crowds of people claiming what people generally consider windows to be isn't an OS. (I see people claiming that windows is merely the GUI API on top of it, but most people won't make that distinction - you certainly haven't made that claim). I see a few religious nuts if I look for them, but only a few. Close to alone seems a fair summary.

Unfortunately in these cases it's not a question of faith, it's all those other tedious business-related things like application availability and vendor support, all of which affect the TCO.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

That's a relief then

The Dark Side can be a powerful influence.

You are fortunate indeed.

Which is why I'm surprised that you would think that Windows is any good.

That would depend on the manufacturer and code version.

One of the key problems is the lack of clean separation between privileged and non privileged aspects

You'd be surprised. Ever heard of 802.1q?

There's no bogus claim. The point of comparison and measurement is what the product is said to do on the box.

Either I can set the spec or the manufacturer can. I'm being generous by letting him do it and he fails even that test.

Marketing is a powerful thing but doesn't make what isn't, is. For example, the marketeers have decided that internet services having speeds greater than modem dial up should be called "broadband". That's wrong as well.

The applications only compound the problems of the house of cards.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Aberdeen's current PC-World is about 4 miles from the nearest "tip" I can think of (unless there's one in Torry I'm not aware of). The previous site was also miles from the tips (and under a half mile form the present site.

For certain values of "interesting".

Reply to
Aidan Karley

PC World Brentford has got a waste transfer station and rail siding just behind it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I haven't read the book, but I've certainly read a lot of Raymond Chen's articles and blog

I recall reading elsewhere that the kludges for certain badly behaved apps started in versions of DOS, where MS were stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding whether to close a loophole/problem but at the same time stop a major app from working because it used that loophole.

Reply to
Ed Chilada