OT: (Windows) software for APC UPS?

I've got an old APC UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 420, Model: BP420SI) with a serial cable connection. It came with Powerchute Plus for Windows to do all the logging and admin. The machine the UPS protects is being changed from Windows XP to Windows server 2012. I'll try and get Powerchute Plus on to Windows 2012 (but somehow I doubt it). I could use Powerchute Personal edition (but it's not as good as Powerchut Plus, unfortunately, IMHO).

What would the group recommend for software on Windows server 2012 to interface with the UPS?

I've been looking round for alternatives and have seen these (in this ng and elsewhere)

TIA Allan

Reply to
Allan

NUT

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

Have you looked at the built-in software? Maybe it will not be happy with a serial connection - not tried that - but gives basic functionality if it can see the UPS.

Reply to
polygonum

En el artículo , Allan escribió:

You don't need any. The OS will find the UPS and you'll get a UPS tab in Power Options which you can customise as required.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I would tend to agree. I used to have an APC like that, and when I switched to Linux Ubuntu 8.04, it just connected with no additional software or drivers, and would give me basic info. held in the UPS.

I have a different unit now, but I haven't bothered to connect it, as it's a long physical way from the PC, and hard to get at.

Just plug it in and see what happens.

Reply to
Davey

1++
Reply to
Huge

Powerchute used to be terrible software. They never seemed to fix security vulnerabilities in it. It was often responsible for more downtime than power cuts. I haven't come across anyone using it for 10+ years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel