OT Wind turbines Cheering news forTurNiP

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Reply to
newshound

One interesting observation from the reports on the recent power cut was  just how much area the Hornsey windfarm covers. OK, it's around a GW so  quite a useful amount of generation. But what can we get if we cover the  North Sea and the Irish Sea with them?

Massive electricity costs?

Reply to
Cynic

Massive over capacity in medium wind, a lot of breakages (MTBF for large numbers) in high winds and bugger all when the wind drops.

Plus a lot of up front investment and expensive ongoing maintenance.

Plus they won't provide base load.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I'm prepared to believe that offshore wind might get down towards nuclear, even allowing for load factor, on the decades timescale. I'd still go for fracking, myself, even with a carbon tax. I don't personally hold much hope for swinging back to nuclear much before the end of the century, although I would like to be proved wrong. All depends on China really.

Reply to
newshound

higher electricity bills and more powercuts and the same emissions as now

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depndd how expensivce they choose to make nuclear BUT headline costs are not the issue. UYou dont pay headline costs on your bills, you pay total costs - grid upgrades to handle peak fluctuating loads, OCGT sets to act as emergency backup on windless says, battery storage for the same reasons...and top add grid stability.. Holistic cost of wind is about twice that of Hinkley

I'd

Oh they will have to swing back to nuclear - if civilisation is to contiunue,. which it may not.

25% of EU nations electricity is nuclear?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A lot of marine collisions? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

a change in the local wind behaviour and a lot of dead birds as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A lot of deaths amongst maintenance crews.

Reply to
invalid

Well have fusion by then, I think I heard someone say that we'll have it within 30 years :o)

Reply to
Pancho